PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The smell out of the tin is stronger than the taste of the tobacco. The Cyprian latakia is very smoky and very woody with a creamy sweetness. The various Virginias offer a hint of citrus and grass, some earth and tangy dried fruit (thank the red Virginia for the last two observations). I suspect an extremely mild topping is here to aid in the smoothness of this product. Burns at a decent rate with few relights, and a very consistent mild to medium flavor with no harsh or dull spots to the finish. Barely leaves any moisture and no unburnt tobacco in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. The old saying "smooth as a baby's bottom" Dunhill used in ads for the original does apply to this version. It could be an all day smoke, depending on your preference for latakia. Three and a half stars out of four.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Jim - thanks so much for another great review! I generally prefer VaPers, but this blend is very enjoyable and isn't too heavy. The latter is important as most of the time I don't have time for a decent sit-down session with a pipe and a strong tobacco that leaves me full and sleepy. You got far more flavours than I did (naturally!), but now I have a list to look for!
Andy

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you, sir. This sounds like a tobacco worth trying. I wonder when it will make its way to US retailers.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I picked up a tin of Dunhill's My Mixture BB 1938 a few days ago. I never tasted the original BB, so I can't offer a comparison. I can tell you, however, that I find this blend to be quite enjoyable. Since the last post on this site was a year ago, I wondered if anyone else had this in their regular rotation. I believe that BB 1938 will be a mainstay in mine.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"This sounds like a tobacco worth trying. I wonder when it will make its way to US retailers."
It should be available now. I know that Pipes and Cigars has it featured in their current (July 2016) catalog on Page 43.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
It's been available quite a while. Dunhill's Lat blends run in a heirarchy of strength and taste, with EMP the lightest bodied, on up to Nightcap the heaviest. They all taste extremely similar to one another. The one exception is MM965. It has a sweetness and complexity the others don't. I like full-bodied blends so I pass on the others and go for Nightcap. However 965 is the exception, as the taste is different enough.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill does these English (Scottish, etc.) blends very well. Some of the smaller blenders do incredible work, but Dunhill's blends stay in rotations. Bullseye review as usual Jim; I feel like I've sampled it. Likely I will.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
They all taste extremely similar to one another.

I respectfully disagree. I smoke this mixture (Baby's Bottom) and Standard, and find them to be different tastes. I've also smoked London, Nightcap,Durbar, The Apertif,and 965. They all have distinct flavor profiles.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke this mixture (Baby's Bottom) and Standard, and find them to be different tastes. I've also smoked London, Nightcap,Durbar, The Apertif,and 965. They all have distinct flavor profiles.
Aperitif and 965 contain a significant amount of cavendish (English-style brown, un-cased). The others are all variations on the same theme: VA, orientals and latakia. What mainly makes them taste distinct is their relative strength.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Once again, Jim, thanks for a great review. Reading your remarks I'm able to feel the smoke swirling around in my mouth, discovering the tastes this tobacco has to offer. Hey--I could save a lot of money on tobacco this way! i've learned to use your reviews as a gauge to how well I might like the particular tobacco, knowing if it will be a good purchase or not. Oftentimes reading a review I am introduced to the reviewer's personal tastes. When I read one of your reviews I appreciate the objectivity of the review, and that's exactly what I need.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I'm waiting for my first tin to arrive. I have tried the match and it was great, I went through the oz in 2 days.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked the "original" Baby's bottom when it was tinned under the Savory's name. I have smoked BB 1938 which is a good blend. I also smoked Russ O's BB 1938 Match and found it to be smoother than the new Dunhill offering and closer to the Savory's. Both are fine blends and worthy of a side-by-side smoking session.
Wg2s2xe.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Papipeguy: I haven't tried Russ' Match, but knowing him, he did do a better job than Dunhill... or is it really Orlik? I wish I had smoked the original. Glad to hear your comments, man.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jim, Russ brought his beta sample to our club meeting last year so it's safe to say that it's his blend. I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Papipeguy: I know Russ blended the Match. The Orlik reference was toward the current Dunhill incarnation. And they can't touch Russ for tobacco mastery.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I tend to agree, Jim. Both are worthy blends but I'd go with Russ' on this one. You have to remember that I last smoke Savory's Baby's Bottom in the early 1970's so memories, like many other things, fade over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.