PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The dark Virginia is the main component and offers bread, wood, dark fruit that is very slightly tangy and sour, some earth, and a little brown sugar. There are a few light streaks of lighter Virginia that accounts for the slight tart citrus, and some vegetative grass and hay. The perique is mildly applied so the raisin, fig, stewed fruitiness and a pinch of spice is mostly in the background. The sweetness is light and has a hint of fermentation. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. The strength and taste thresholds are just past mild to medium, although the taste and sweet levels edge closer to medium by the time you get to the last quarter of the experience. No chance of bite, and has no harsh or dull moments. The flake is moist and easily breaks apart to suit your preference. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with a moderately smooth, barely creamy, slight rough edged consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, requires some relights, and will burn to ash. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke if you wish. Reminds me a little of a toned down Dunhill Navy Rolls.

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You always make me want to smoke the blend Jim! As always, GREAT REVIEW...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The reviews I've read have been mostly average so I've held off buying this blend, but I'm curious so I'll likely have to try for myself. I always have to balance curiosity vs my desire to not have another ignored/open tin. You may have tipped the scales to curiosity.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The last sentence in your review answered the question that's been on my mind. Sounds like this one's in-between Elizabethan and DNR...the latter which to me is VA-Per-fection, so I think I can scratch this one off my wishlist. Still thinking about Ye Olde Signe, although the reports of it smelling/tasting like tea are rather offputting.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: I will get a sample of Ye Olde Signe in a couple days, and will review it. And your analogy of my review is accurate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Cant wait to see you reviewing the Dunhills Ye Olde,and as always I'm on the watch out for your brand new reviews,that they contain lots of information and concequally help me on choosing blends with which I was not familiar erlier in my days, yet reading any reviews saves me gops of $)Thank You for your continuos work for us pipe smoker community

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ye Olde Signe; I opened the tin on Sunday, and I must say with the first few smokes I was less than impressed. Today, after three days, the tobacco has "opened up", has much richer flavors, and I'm really liking it! Jim, I didn't buy any of the Flake, but now you're making me re-think that!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't think this tastes anything close to DDNR. This is an amazing blend in my opinion and I can bet that it's going to age with grace. If Dunhill Flake is sweet, than Dunhill Dark Flake is savory. It has a similar taste profile that you would associate with a plug tobacco; deep and rich. I get little hints of cocoa with light spicy notes (Perique). I think most people who have DDNR in their rotation would not find this redundant. So far I like this much better than Ye Olde Signe too, although that could change at any time. Just giving an alternative view here.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Jim you said 'I will get a sample of Ye Olde Signe in a couple days, and will review it." But there's a review by you of Ye Olde Signe on tobaccoreviews dated 2016-9-26. Was that of a tin of the original?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
It would be interesting to read your comparison. Myself I was off the pipe and on cigars for so long I can only compare today's Dunhills to my distant memory of the originals.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Jim -- Thanks for the review. I want to try this blend sometime.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I picked up several tins of this but am waiting to get about six months on one before I pop it.
Hawky454, would you say this is comparable to the petersons plug? I am looking forward to trying this now.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I was able to score some 221b Baker's St. when this first came out. I haven't seen it since.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky454, would you say this is comparable to the petersons plug? I am looking forward to trying this now.
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I wouldn't say it taste similar to 3P's but it does have the same deep, rich notes I associate with plug tobaccos, I personally think it's a stellar tobacco and I'm pretty shocked that it's not getting much attention... oh well, more for us, hehe. I would love to hear your thoughts on it when ya get around to it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks Hawky454, I've got McConnell's Mature open right now so that is fitting the bill in the deep, rich department. When I get through the tin I'll pop the Dunhill.
By the way I'm a fan of that plug style flavor and am cellared deep on the 3P, it is such a great blend. Also If you haven't tried the McConnell's I bet you would like it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Finally got around to some of this. It is milder than I thought it would be. I did like it though and it is distinct enough from orlik golden slice and capstan that I will put down some for the cellar.

stanwell-0316-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.