PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The African Virginias are very earthy with some dark and stewed fruitiness and a hint of grass as they form the base for the other tobaccos to play with. The luscious Turkish is smoky, spicy, and fairly woody with a bit of sweetness as well a very minor sour note, all of which adds a bit of complexity to every puff. The rich Cyprian latakia is very smoky, very woody and lightly sweet and comprises a healthy percentage of the blend without overwhelming the other components. Well balanced with a significant depth of flavor that remains consistent from the first light to last with no harsh or dull spots, and slight creamy quality. The nic-hit is moderate. Medium in strength and taste with no topping. Leaves no moisture in the bowl and requires few relights. The after taste and room note are woody sweet, and won't chase away the ladies or the cats.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
This sounds pretty tasty. I've enjoyed the few Dan mixtures I've tried. How does it compare to Gordon Pym in your opinion?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ericusrex: I haven't tried the 250. As I'm not buying anything for a while, Lord knows when and if I will.
Sthbkr: I haven't tried Gordon Pym.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Pym's fantastic IMO. But 1000 is a heavier English. Pym is more like Presbyterian but better.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Jinks 'n eri
Based on the Timm's London Blend No.250 I puffed, you aren't missing much, compared to the superb No.1000. Jim's parsing and dissection of the 1000 do justice to this rich and complex blend. There are times it is in my Top10. 1000 is one of the Latakia blends that has aged well for me, and I have pounds, some that are the Timm's from decades prior. 250 is lighter, and the dried out tin I played with was still residually plummy. It wasn't as obnoxious to me as Squire's - fruitiness and Latakia flavors just don't mix well for me.
Pym's is also one of my Top200 Cellar items, probably in the Top25 along with Presbyterian. Both are wonderfully complex though light, in a different way than the new reissue of John Cotton's No.1 Mild, or Piccadilly. Also Pym's is very accessible and is a favorite morning starter, it carries a surprising nicotine punch.
hp

les

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Helpful info les and Eric, many thanks. I'll have to pick up a tin of London1k as I do enjoy heartier Englishes.
Jim, I'm aware you're drowning in mixtures but GP is a very nice treat, worth exploring as time permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.