Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Jim's C&D Small Batch Sun Bear Review.

(14 posts)
  1. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody, bready, lightly floral, slightly spicy, slightly citrusy red Virginia takes a tiny lead over the other components at times. Strongly vying for attention for the first slot and often getting it are the dry, sour, lightly tangy sweet, woody, earthy, floral, spicy, smoky Basma and Izmir. The bright Virginia provides some tart citrus, grass, a floral and spice note in an important support role, and ranks a slot below the Orientals and the red Va. The smooth, sweet honey is the most obvious topping, while the lightly fruity, earthy tequila rises a little above the “whisper” mentioned in the blend description. Its effect tends to vary a tad, though it seems just a little more potent half way through the experience. The tart, grape and berry-like, acidic, floral, herbal, sweet elderflower is always in the background. The toppings sublimate the tobaccos to a moderate degree. The strength and taste levels barely reach the medium threshold. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite, and while it’s not exactly smooth, there’s very few rough edges, and has potential for a hint of harshness that chiefly comes from the Izmir. The flakes easily break apart to suit your packing preference. They are lightly moist, but needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow with a modestly sweet, minimally sour and savory, mildly inconsistent, complex and nuanced flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. The room note is a rung stronger than the after taste. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars out of four.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, I get the floral. I’m not well versed with the orientals used, so your guide here is well noted. Im glad you got the tequila Jim, as I was scared of wishful dreamings.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Perdurabo. I was looking for the tequila very intensely. Same for the elderflower topping. That was a little harder for me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. craig61a

craig61a

Login to Send PM

Just getting started on the second bowl. There’s a lot going on there. Overall very well balanced tobacco. I do occasionally note a light tequila aftertaste, but it works well. I can’t add to Jim’s review, I pretty much agree with it. A whole potpourri of flavors.

I gave it about 10 minutes dry time in the sun, because while it’s not overly humid today, that just works better for me in my location.

A top shelf smoke...

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. It certainly sounds interesting, something to sample at the pipe club or show, but also a mite busy, not just with different flavors but with seemingly incongruous flavors. jiminks may have been a little more receptive to this blend than I would be, but I'll see how others react over time. C&D is usually dead-on with its burley blends. Others can be hit or miss for me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the stuff! Possibly my favorite C&D Virginia. Tons of flavor variety while never intruding on the Virginia taste. C&D Virginias tend to hit me as earthy, and this one has a very delightful brightness to it. I hope they do another run sometime!

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. fightnhampster

fightnhampster

Login to Send PM

Scooped up 5 tins before they were gone. The tin note is amazing! It does seem a little rough but should age wonderfully. If they ever make some more (like they did carolina red flake) I will definitely get some more.

Posted 5 days ago #
  8. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jim, how is the honey flavor compared to SG Black Forest? I smoke Black Forest for the honey hit, which I don't get with every bowl. I read your review of Black Forest and I'm thinking that Sun Bear might have more honey flavor. Thanks.

Posted 5 days ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SCloyd: I'd say the honey is about a step or two more obvious in Sun Bear. It seems to be a touch richer, and it seems to me that the tequila carries that flavor a tad more throughout the smoke while adding its own mark on your taste buds. The honey in Black Forest as I recall seemed to weaken a little toward the finish.

Posted 5 days ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jim- The honey in Black Forest is pretty weak and my tastes aren't that refined. Thanks for the response...much appreciated.

Posted 5 days ago #
  11. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I am having my first bowl and am trying it kinda of cube cut first in a new legend cob. I am in no way a reviewer like Jim but I get it and I like it. I can see myself having many bowls of this. I can detect the honey and I thought the tequila would be off putting but it is not. It does indeed have a lot going on. Good thing I got 50 tins. LOL

Posted 4 days ago #
  12. fightnhampster

fightnhampster

Login to Send PM

50! Wow! I know who to PM if I run out...

Posted 3 days ago #
  13. h3rodotus

h3rodotus

Login to Send PM

I concur with Jim here--Hello sir! I hope you are well. 3.5 stars is a high score from the legend, IMO it's amazing. I need more, I only was able to get 5 tins!!!

Posted 2 days ago #
  14. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cornell & Diehl is rocking it!

Posted 2 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jttnk