PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The very woody, earthy, Italian dark fired florets have a multiplicity of flavors, and takes the lead. They do offer a mild floralness, a touch of smoke, a little nuttiness, and a sweet and dry savory quality to them, the latter characteristics being the main feature of the lingering after taste. The spiciness is mild, and is more like the kind one would use in cooking rather than having a peppery quality to them, though the pepper is a little noticeable. As an important secondary player, the red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit and mildly citrusy sweet with a light fermented quality that reminds me of stewed fruit (raisins and prunes). It also provides a touch of spice, grass, bread, and some earth, and is a shade more perceptible in the past third of the proceedings. Well blended and well balanced, you’ll observe most of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in the majority of puffs. The strength level is just past medium while the taste is medium to full. The nic-hit is medium. No chance of bite, and while there is a roughness to the blend, it won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. Burns at a little less than at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very consistent taste. leaves very little moisture in the bowl, but does need a few relights. Has a sweet, pungent room note. Not an all day smoke, but the experienced smoker will certainly find it repeatable.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Nice! I've been waiting for your review on this blend.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jim, thanks for the review. I've noticed that the DFK used by C&D often has a very sharp aggressive wood smoke note which unfortunately does not agree with me, (causes mouth discomfort). I have no trouble with Irish flake nor similar EU derived DFK blends. Your comment about "some roughness" makes me wonder if the florets have received the same processing.
How does this blend compare with Sav 140, of which I believe you are a fan.
Lastly, hope you had a great time in Vegas. Any interesting discoveries?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It certainly sounds like it has complexity and variety. I'd put it on my "definite maybe" list, to perhaps try some time. Great review -- always good to hear what you think. Few of us can try as many blends as you do, Jim.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Sounds good. I'll have to pick up a tin soon.

As always, thanks for the review

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great review Jim - thanks. This sounds like an interesting blend which I've never heard of. I'll definitely order a few tins.
Andy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bigpond: I don't think this is very comparable with Savinelli 140. The floralness and a light spice is about the only things they have in common, and those are different. Had a blast in Vegas, but I'm not sure I learned much earth shattering news.
MSO: I'm lucky to have enough friends who help me out on getting samples. Sure couldn't buy everything that's coming out.
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
So, I'm at the Las Vegas Show and the guy working a table across from mine has a pipe in his mouth continuously... even when he's talking... and he was talking all the time. Friendliest fellow I ever saw. I think the pipe came out of his mouth only after he'd loaded another one to light. He comes up and introduces himself... guess who?
JimInks, it was a pure pleasure to meet and visit with you!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Same to you, Pipestud. We did have a very good time laughing together. Give my best to your lady. She's a very sweet person.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I keep my tongue away from the bit, and the pipe stays on the far side of my mouth. I often angle the pipe up just a mite, though sometimes I angle it down, depending what the bit is like.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Nice review, Jim.
I was impressed with this one. To me it was similar in many ways to ODF, only more refined and complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.