PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
These Old Joe Kantz offerings are new productions of older blends. Here’s my reviews of them.
C&D Old Joe Krantz Blue Label:

The burleys are very nutty, earthy, rather toasty with a light wood, molasses, and slightly bitter cocoa hit. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is a tad more than a background player. The nic-hit is just shy of being in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite, and you’ll only get a harsh note if you puff like you’re walking the last mile to the gas chamber. It does sport a mild sharp, rough edge at times from the white burley. The cube cut seems a little smaller than the earlier version I smoked. Burns slightly slow, cool and clean with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a light sweet, savory,and toasty after taste. Can be an all day smoke, and can be used as a mixer if you desire it.
C&D Old Joe Krantz Red Label:

The white and dark burleys offer a bit of earth and nuts, some toastiness, a little molasses and bitter cocoa, and a slight sharp, woody rough note. They form the base of the blend. The red Virginia provides some earth and dark fruit in a support role. The smoky, woody Cyprian latakia doesn’t seem quite as sweet as usual, and is mostly condimental. The raisiny, plumy, spicy perique is an ever present background player. The mildly applied molasses topping tones down the tobaccos to a small extent. The nic-hit is mild to medium, and gets slightly stronger in the last third of the bowl. The strength and taste levels start out as mild to medium, and reach the medium threshold by the half way point. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent sweet and slightly savory taste, which translates to the after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a tad more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke.
C&D Old Joe Krantz White Label:

The white and dark burleys offer a bit of earth and nuts, some toastiness, a little molasses and bitter cocoa, and a slight sharp, woody rough note. They form the base of the blend. The grassy, citrusy Virginia flake plays a support role. The unsweetened black cavendish chips in with a little smoothing sugar. The raisiny, plumy, spicy perique is an important condiment that you notice in every puff. The taste and strength levels are a little closer to medium than they are to mild. No chance of bite, and has no harshness. The nic-hit is a mite closer to mild than it is to medium. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with fairly consistent, sweet, slightly savory flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. Is an all day smoke if you choose. Three and a half stars out of four.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
They all got 3 stars based on what I see on tobaccoreviews.
Did any of these beat the original?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I gave three stars to all of them.
Kanse, I can't say only because that's really a matter of personal preference. The flavor profiles vary from blend to blend. What suits one person may not suit another.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some subtle distinctions. They all sound tasty and nuanced. I might try the others before the cube cut, only because my experience with cube cut hasn't been optimal. Thanks for the sharply focussed reviews!

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Thanks for the reviews, always straight forward and insightful as usual. Seems like nothing much to write home about...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As usual, excellent unbiased reviews, or so it would appear.

Judging from these, I think the Red might be the one that would appeal to me...that white burly sounds a little offputting.

I was really wondering about comparison to the OG Krantz?

I wonder if Jeremy will be whipping up some red, white and blue in another old favorite?
I am getting older and more and more crotchety, and multiple versions of the old brand name seems gimmicky to me.

I realize that another blender does this to a fair degree of success with a lot of its bulk blends, so, I could be just weary of sales pitches.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: the cubes are really small pieces, not the thick cube cuts you are used to.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
These are not new blends, they're just rebranded. Are we going to see more of these now that actual new blends are off the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.