PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It's available June 10. 2,400 tins will be produced. I was asked to review it, so here's my thoughts on the tobacco.
Several 2015 North Carolina grown red Virginias are processed into a very easily broken apart flake to suit your packing preference, and for a better burn rate than what some flake blends offer. It’s very tangy, dark fruit sweet with a lot of earth, some woodiness, very mild grass, natural sugar and citrus notes, along with slightly more than mild spice. The first thing that hits you as you light up is the tangy sweetness and earth, which are the main features of the flavors. The other attributes I mentioned quickly show themselves, and remain all throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is just a shade past being mild. The strength is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is right at the medium level.
Not a complex product, but there’s enough variety going on to hold your interest as the flavor is fairly smooth and very consistent from start to finish. I say “fairly smooth” only because the much appreciated earth and spice continually underscores the inherently tangy sweetness of the reds. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if pushed, though I recommend a slow cadence in order to fully savor the experience. Easily burns to ash, and requires just a few relights. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl. The tangy after taste very pleasantly lingers a little, and the room note is a little sweet. Can be an all day smoke if you wish.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds great, Jim. How does it compare to Old Belt Christmas Cheer or to Union Square?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Think Christmas Cheer with less sweetness, more earth and spice. Has a bolder, tangier taste than Union Square.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thank you for the review Jim.
I have been wondering for a while, and I apologize if this comes out wrong, but what is your background with tobacco. You seem to get a lot of tobaccos to try / review before their release. How did you get this wonderful job / privilege?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm just a long time smoker who writes a lot of reviews, and due to that, I occasionally get asked to review a blend. Anybody who asks me knows in advance I'll give an honest opinion whether it's a positive or negative review. That's the chance they take because I do my best to write objective reviews regardless of my own personal taste.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Think Christmas Cheer with less sweetness, more earth and spice. Has a bolder, tangier taste than Union Square.
Thanks. Sounds like a winner to me -- a good balance between the light clarity of flavor you get from Union Square, but without the super-dark sweetness of aged Christmas Cheer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jim's been writing well-reported, measured, balanced reviews for a long time. He prizes objectivity in giving his considered opinions. In the "What Are You Smoking" thread he reports smoking an astonishing number and variety of blends and single-leaf tobaccos. He has a considerable depth of experience. I trust his opinion more than most.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As do I. I have read enough of his reviews to filter his inevitable bias.
If you read enough of his reviews you can filter them through your own tastes.
I trust him implicitly.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
jefff: Thank you. While it's true that everybody does have preferences, I seldom allow mine to affect my thoughts on a blend. I do have certain criteria. For instance, if a blend has a chemical taste, bites easily, or leaves goop in a bowl, you can figure it has a good chance of getting one star. If it tastes really bad, that factors in, too. I often rate blends that do not fit my personal taste higher than my personal taste would allow because it's more helpful that way. Believe me, if I rated everything for my personal preferences, you'd see a ton of changes in how they've been rated. I think I give better, fairer, more helpful information when I rate and describe a blend for what it is, rather than whether or not I personally like it. I could probably name you at least a couple hundred or more blends that I gave a higher rating to than what my personal taste is. The same goes for rating blends lower than my personal taste. I can't think of another way to be more objective, and if it were possible not to assign a rating at all, I would refrain from doing that.
I rate according to genres and sub-genres. Aros against other aros and nothing else. The subset there would be cherry blends against other cherry blends and not, say, against peach, anise, apple or other flavors. I figure that's a better measurement. In the case of English blends, I rate mild English against other mild English, medium against medium, strong against strong. It does no good to rate Penzance against say, Dunhill Standard because they are designed for different reasons, and that would be an unfair comparison. By the same token, it's light VaPers against other light VaPers, and not fuller strength blends in the VaPer genre.
Overall, I figure the best thing I can do is relate my experience and people can figure out for themselves whether they agree or disagree or whether or not they want to try or ignore it. Body chemistry and personal taste will always dictate that, and of course, we all have varying opinions based on that and more. I can't think of a fairer, more objective way to do it and have it be meaningful to anyone who reads my reviews. At most, what I try to present is a guide for others to make their own decisions.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have been wondering for a while, and I apologize if this comes out wrong, but what is your background with tobacco. You seem to get a lot of tobaccos to try / review before their release. How did you get this wonderful job / privilege?
Very Simple to answer... Jim is a Tobacco Reviewing God with one of the finest pallets known to Man! Just my humble thoughts (I love the guy)... :worship:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
See what giving Weezell my first born gets me? :rofl:
Thank you, my friend, for the kind words.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Jim, I did not mean to offend you. I find your reviews clear and unbiased. Preferences are inevitable but you seem to allow for them and get past them.
Thank you

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Not that you need the attaboys, but first: Thanks Jim.
Many of us simply don't have the pallet to assess blends the way you do. Generally people like me know what we like and don't like, but struggle trying to describe it. Because your reviews are so neutral and unbiased, yet consistently detailed, people like me can read from review to review and can tell if we like one blend whether we will like another or not based on your review.
And blenders are smart to share with you first. There's many like me who wait for that review before "investing" in a blend, i.e. buying a stock to cellar, not just a single tin to smoke this weekend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jefff: I took no offense whatsoever from what you said. I was merely forwarding the conversation and took the opportunity to explain what and why I do what I do. I try to keep the focus on the product and not me. The less of me there is in a review, the better, in my opinion. I do the same thing when I write historical biographical interviews. In print, I cut out as much of my talk as humanly possible in order to keep the focus on the interview subject. In person, I can talk your ears off! :D
Thank you, MSO489 and JMatt for your compliments. Being subjective for a moment, I've met MSO, and he's a good guy. I even let him on my lawn!!! :puffpipe:
Weezell: the child support check is in the mail. I currently use the Bank of Lower Antarctica, but you'll have to cash it in person.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I appreciate your approach, Jim. I see some reviews that people write, where they don't seem to be approaching a blend for what it is, and I wonder what the point is.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for a great, detailed review Jim - as always - and for the explanation of how you taste and rate tobacco. I'm a big fan of sweet VA, but I get horribly bitten by some VA blends and I have a feeling it's the Red that clashes with my personal chemistry. This is an excellent chance to see whether that's true and to enjoy what sounds like a very tasty smoke!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.