PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This latest flake blend from C&D will be available on Friday the 13th of May. It should bring you luck! :wink:
The first thing that hits you as you light up is the Turkish Katerini, quickly followed by the moderately tangy dark fruit sweet 2003 Eastern North Carolina red Virginias. The red Virginias also have a little earth and very minor spice note. The lightly smokey, fairly woody sweet Katerini also offers a gentle spice. After a few moments, the Katerini recedes into the background as an important secondary player that underscores every single puff. There’s a touch of bright Virginia leaf that chips in with dab of citrus and grass. The honey topping is very mild and lightly applied, adding a slight smooth sweetness that rounds out the blend without sublimating the tobaccos. It’s not always noticeable, and weakens a little after the half way point. The nic-hit is mild to medium, though I observe it a tad more toward the finish. The strength and taste are in-between mild to medium. The flakes are a bit on the thin side, mildly moist and very easily manipulated to suit your packing preference. I saw no need to dry it, and recommend you smoke it as it is. Burns very cool, clean with a consistently smooth, woody sweetness at a slow to modest pace. Requires a few relights, and has no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if you push it. Leaves a slight bit of moisture in the bowl.
It will burn to ash, but in a big bowl, you may have to stir up the last quarter just a little. Also, the tanginess from the red Virginia seems to speak out just a little more in a smaller bowl, so I will recommend a small to medium size pipe for this blend. The after taste is very pleasant, and doesn’t linger too long. The room note is like temperately sweet campfire smoke. An all day, subtly complex blend that wears well during the day. Three and a half stars out of four.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I was wondering when I'd see this one, I saw you post in What are you smoking and got my hopes up. Sounds like a winner for me.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I bought a tin at the Chicago show and loved it from the first bowl. Was waiting to see Jim's review. I appreciate the refined pallet's ability to describe what I'm tasting better than I can. I'll definitely buy more of this to smoke now as well as some tins for cellaring for another time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Elegant review -- concise, astute, detailed, and specific. This definitely sounds like a blend I'd enjoy. Katerini would be new to me, I believe. I'm assuming this is tinned only, not bulk?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO489: As far as I know, tin only. Thank you for the compliment on my review.
As for Katerini, the more blends I have smoked with it as a component, the more I am liking it.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I can't wait to pick up a tin of this. The Beast more than exceeded my expectations. Big C&D Fan.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Smoking Bijou for the first time. I think your review is dead on. I get the sweet and tangy right away and a little bit of a floral note. I am not too familiar with Katerini, so not sure if this is where the floral is coming from. Smoking it in a MM Country Gentleman. Thanks for the great review.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Another blend on my "to try" list - can't help that when I see it on the banners non-stop :P

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I smoked a bowl of Bijou at the New Orleans Pipe Club meeting Thursday night, right after I had smoked a bowl of GH Rum Flake. I think that made me notice the floral notes in Bijou a little more than I would have otherwise. Smoked another bowl on Friday and still got the floral notes so I'm guessing that must be the Katerini. All in all, it's not a bad tobacco but so far it just doesn't really do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.