PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
For several years, I have wanted a Bing Crosby pipe. Since the company who made them, Merchant Service, is long defunct, I figured it wouldn't happen without paying a bloody fortune. Thanks to Basil Meadows, I finally have one. Basil got the pipe specifications of the Bing Merchant Service model, so this is accurate. Many thanks to TW Hunter for providing the pipe specs.

I also got a pre-republic Pete Canadian today,along with my other two pre-republic Petes. It's the one in the center.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Some great looking pies there Jim. I really like the looks of the Bing Crosby pipes as well. Enjoy. :puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I smoked one bowl of ERR Match today and it did very well for a first smoke in new bowl with no carbon. I think it'll take one or two more smokes for it to be fully broken in. Smoked cool and was very enjoyable. I can see why Bing liked this style now that I have smoked a bowl. Light and easy to clench, the bowl is out of your line of sight, the bit is thin enough to clench while you talk without causing word distortion, and it smokes great as well as being sleek and stylish!

Dec 24, 2012
Beautiful bing. Just a classic, and couldn't go to a classier guy. That Pete Canadian is also wonderful, and a pre-republic makes it even more so. I am always fascinated when I see the p-lips on those older Petes and wonder when that idea was first invented.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the kind words, Peck.
Pipedia sez this about the p-lip: Charles Peterson applied for a patent for an improved tobacco pipe on the 8th of August 1890.
He was awarded patent number 12393 on the 16th of June 1891 for Great Britain and Ireland.This came to be known as the famous 'System Pipe' patent.

The French patent,No. 210944 was issued to them on January 1891.

The USA issued patent No. 519,135 on May 1st 1894.

In later years they went on to be successful in being awarded additional patents associated with their innovative pipes and pipe stems,including the famous P-lip patent in 1898.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the compliments, fellas. Btw, I smoked a second bowl of ERR Match in the Bing, and got nothing but the true flavor of the tobacco. I consider this pipe to be officially broken in. I've had similar results with the four other pipes of Basil's that I own. Thanks for the great job, Basil.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bigpond: I can't blame you. Here's Basil's website: http://www.reddogpipes.com/ Good luck. You will not be sorry you got one.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Wow Jim, that is outstanding. Checking out his site, Basil really does some great work.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I got a pipe from Basil after Jim told me "you won't be sorry you got one." I'm not and have a second Basil pipe enroute now! If I were Basil I would start work on several more Bings because I suspect he will be getting orders for them!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just an update to say that the Bing has become one of my favorite pipes for style as well as performance. I see what I've been missing out all this time, but I'm not missing out anymore! :D

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
That's a beautiful pipe Jim, I'm glad your enjoying it. I've commissioned Boswell Pipes to make a Bing pipe for me based on the Merchant Service specs. I won't receive it until sometime in January 2016, can't wait.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not sure how I missed this one, what a great idea for a commission!
And, the top shape is my Favorite Peterson - the 9BC, that is a great example!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Al, you should get Basil to make you a Bing. Btw, since you like pre-republic Petes, if you ever see a 4AB, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.