PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JVp1snx3L6Bn.jpg
For years now, I've seen Jim Amash post his smoke of the moment, followed up by his drink du jour of "water and 'bergs" Now, I'm usually a beer or bourbon guy when it comes to mating flavors with the briar stuffings, but something told me that it was a good day to give it a go. Maybe it was the brined leg of lamb on the grill. smoking away over hickory, low and slow. I was going to have to babysit it most of the day, and just didn't have enough alcohol on hand to make it.
Well, hat's off to Jim, this was a perfect mating. Hot day, cold water, pipe full of Mystery Flake, and the satisfying aroma of lamb over wood.
Thanks, Jim, why didn't I try this sooner?
2v2JVp1Pqx3L6Bn.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, always remember all those blends jiminks enjoys are nutritionally enhanced with both solid and liquid treats. No wonder he likes more blends than most of us.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I've heard Jim can also fry some mean eggs. :nana: Dan, that lamb looks like it's going to be great! Don't forget to let it rest.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I thought that's what you meant burt then you wrote about alcohol andI got confused. Oh! given what you cooked I'm always available as a dinner guest:).

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, how long do you let it rest?
I’ve always been warned to not let my meat loaf.
:rofl:
Lamb, I'd take it to 120f or so on a meat thermometer, then rest it for ten minutes or so for a nice pink medium. Honestly, after cooking professionally for over 20 years, I just do it by touch. You can always cook it more, you can't cook it less.
:)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ah! A chef! Still at it?
I started this leg at 350, then backed it off to 225 and ended up at about 150 for the last few hours. The lamb was in an apple cider brine for a few months (refridged near freezing). This combo has worked out well for me, but I do need to back off the final internal temp. I was going to 140 which is too done for my taste. I wouldn’t dare 120 until you suggested it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mmmmmmm! Lamb! Besides leg of, there're chops to be had. Tripe and other stuff, not a real fan. What other parts of lamb do folks eat?
That looks like a masterpiece, Dan'l.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Sutliff has been teasing the mystery blend for next months release. Look forward to hearing the impressions.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dmcmtk: awww, go fry an egg, shell face!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Ktrb-pHg4
Actully, our floaty li'l icebergs were harvested from the poor widdle iceberg that was savagely attacked and mauled by that mean ol' Titanic by enticing young nubiles, and paw delivered by the maduro smoking Trusty Saint Bernard. I have to trust him. The dirty dog has the keys to the whisky cabinet, the little fink!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dmcmtk: awww, go fry an egg, shell face!!!
I would have handled that ostrich egg a little differently (ok, she's in a wheelchair). I would have started it on higher heat with oil (or clarified butter) then turn the flame down and covered it until cooked to desired doneness, or a quick flash in say a 300-350 convection oven.
See, I have fried a few eggs in my time, see. :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Learned pairing ice-water with pipe from Jim as well, it works great with cigars also. And in winter I pair my pipes and cigars with water, without any ice. Great pictures by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.