PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The nutty, toasty, slightly molasses sweet burleys are the stars. The Virginia is lightly grassy sweet. The latakia is a smokey, woodsy minor supporting player that amps up the strength and flavor. The topping is mildly vanilla, and tangy, and tones down the tobacco taste just a little. It reminds me of old time American English blends like Barking Dog, Walnut, and Fox and Hound, with richer flavor, strength and smoothness, and a bolder burley hit, though a little more aromatic. It may need some dry time. Burns well with no harsh spots, and has a mild nic-hit. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but it’s worth revisiting during the day.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Great review. I really enjoy Bald Headed Teacher but haven't had any in a few months. Might be time to fix that.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Very good review. The only thing I would question is whether the topping is vanilla or something a little more fruity, but then again my palate has been blasted over the years. Thanks for posting!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
DAMIT JIM!! Another one on my list of must tries. Have you ever had one of those buddies that you always put the blame on? "Honey, Jim said it was a MUST buy". :laughat: ...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
DoctorThoss: Here and there I thought I got some fruity notes, and originally had it in my description, but it's so elusive, that I figured maybe it was the citrus from the Va. I definitely get the vanilla, though.
As for the rest of you guys always blaming me, you have your choice of answers to that:

1) I'm used to getting the blame. :evil:

2) Aww, go fry an egg!! :rofl:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jim
Excellent review except I talked to rich at 4 noggins and he claimed there is no topping added to this blend
At least that is what he told me a year ago

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Allan: there has to be a topping, unless there's black cavendish in the blend that causes the vanilla. Even then, it's too sweet to be all natural. It could be that some of the components have a topping, and some don't, thus creating no need for an overall topping. Or there's something in the casing of some components. But tobacco is not this naturally sweet.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
The best way I can put this is 'I knew this tasted too good to be without some topping", and that's why I called Rich.
If one were to believe him, (which I would really like to do) than it must be the casings and the processing, I guess.
I love this tobacco, and I don't even want to think that it could be classified, in any way, as an aromatic (not that there is anything wrong with aeros)...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, I would not classify it as an aro in the strictest sense, but it does have some minor qualities to turn its foot in that direction. That's why I termed it as an American English-style blend, because it's not an English in the strictest sense either. But all of that depends on how you define the terms, and there's room for subjectivity here.
Why does the idea of it being classified as an aro bother you? Seems to me that the only thing that would matter is whether or not you like it enough to smoke. Some times, a label is just a label.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
you are absolutely right. It's just that my early experience with aeros (thirty five years ago) and then my re-introduction to pipe smoking 2 years ago was with aeros, and the goppy mixtures of the crap that I purchased really turned me off.
I'm an absolute kind of guy when it comes to things like this.
My mishogas (sp)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've smoked many non-aros that burned wet to some extent, and I'm a dry and fairly moderate smoker in my cadence. I'll take a little wetness in lieu of preferred flavor or at the risk of losing a desired flavor by drying it out too much. But, there's no right or wrong to this stuff because it's all personal preference anyway. What's right for the individual smoker is the main thing, otherwise we'd only have two or three blends on the market.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Jim. I've looked at this a few times and scratched it, but now it's definitely on the list.
Andy

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Thanks for the review. I always have BHT in my rotation. It's not quite an aro, but it is on the border and I've recommended this to others who are looking to try something that is not an aromatic, as sort of an in-between blend. Since the claim is that there is no topping, perhaps whatever is in the casing and this is why it is so much in the background? In the end, who cares? It is an excellent blend and could easily be an all-day smoke. It does remind me, because of the burley content and nuttiness, I guess, of some codger blends. Somehow, maybe because of the citrus notes of the Virginias, it seems fresher than most of the OTC's I'm familiar with.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Ahh it's always been on my list to try. I will have to definitely make it my next TAD now.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for another excellent review Jim. I will give this a try; it sounds like something I will enjoy.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the kind words, folks. Hope those who try it like it. Keep soylent about what you are smoking, or you may get arrested for smoking people!!! :crazy: :rofl:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
One of the MANY things I love about ordering from 4noggins is that when I read a review like this I always ask Rich for a sample of said blend. I ordered 4 oz of Britt's Balkan and Chipman Hill just from the samples I tried. I liked the samples of BHT and Harvest Moon and will order some on my next order.
Thanks for the review Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.