PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The woody, earthy, floral, dry and lightly sweet, moderately sour, mildly spicy, nutty, smoky dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The smokiness has a minute barbecue note. The Virginias offer citrus, a little dark fruit, earth and some grass as a secondary player. They take a little of the edge off the DFK. I detect no toppings. The strength and taste levels are just past the medium mark. The nic-hit is a step shy of medium. Won’t bite, but it does have a few rough edges as one would expect from a blend with dark fired Kentucky. Needs a light dry time. Burns cool and clean and a little slow as broken flake mixtures tend to do. The lightly sweet and rather dry, savory flavor is very consistent from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The savory, campfire after taste lightly lingers. It’s not really an all day smoke, but it is a repeatable one, especially if you are a fan of DFK. Those experienced with DFK may consider this to be an all day smoke. It is a little less sweeter and not quite as potent as Mac Baren’s HH Old Dark Fired, though it does have enough punch and body to hold your interest. Three and a half stars out of four.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds appealing, but not as much as their recent Burley blend. I wonder if the relights could be reduced by more drying. That's its least attractive attribute for me, but I'll likely try it. Thank you as always for a carefully observed and precisely stated review.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sounds appealing, but not as much as their recent Burley blend
Shocking that you, of all people, would find the Burley Blend more appealing! :lol:
A great review as always, Jim. Thanks again for all you do.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Appreciate the review. I'm hoping it's available tomorrow when I place an order, but if not, I'll snag a pouch of the burley blend. I've been smoking Bold Kentucky (and Dark Flake) with my morning coffee, but that blend is way too potent for me to smoke outside of those times when I really need some nicotine. A dialed down DFK blend sounds like it could be useful for me.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Much appreciated JimInks, Thanks again for taking time to review and sharing your experience with us, Am really hoping I can get this blend, sooner the better, and I have a reason to believe I'm gonna like this new kentucky Blend similarly as with other Amphoras,this latest Aphora Burley* Release is now becoming one of my favorite everyday' blend along with their Original (brown)blend, candidly its hard to tell which one is better,This their Burely blend has very old-timey straightforward natural tobacco taste and I that's what I do like,yet it won't bite which is another +

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Half way done the week and it hasn’t been released... waiting patiently... waiting... still waiting...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Amphora Kentucky Blend
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/amphora/Kentucky-Blend-1.75oz/product_id/334497
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.