Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Recently, I have had the good fortune to smoke 1938 and 1940 Capstan Blue. Here are my thoughts on them, starting with the 1930s version.
1938 Version:

I’ve smoked three bowls and have enough left for one more. I think similar tobacco varietals are used in today's production. Dark Virginias usually have a dried dark fruit note or two, depending on the processing, and CB is no exception. The 1938 version obviously had time to age, and the further fermentation of the Virginias caused the stewed fruit flavor to be more prominent and sweeter than when it is fresh. I thought it was slightly more sugary, too, which was also caused by the aging process. New CB has a couple of rough edges (not to the extent of FVF or similar Va.s), and they were smoothed out over time in the 1938. I thought the nicotine level was lightly higher in the 1938, too.
This 1940 Capstan almost tastes like a cross between the 1930s version and the current version. The Virginia has a few grass notes (a shade less than the '30s Capstan), but is more earthy than the new version, which I attribute either to the tobacco varietal or age or both. The dark fruit and citrus notes area little more pronounced than the '30s version and very close, but slightly deeper than the new version, though a shade less sweeter than the new manufacture. It has the taste of fermented sweet matured Virginia. I'd say this is slightly tangier than the others, and has a minute spice tingle not found in the others, too. This is just a little muddier in flavor than the other two as well as a little more nicotine. There was a very, very slight hint of cigarette near the finish of the 1930s version which I do not experience here or in the MacBaren version. The flavor holds to the finish. Frankly, I like this a little better than the '30s version - not by much, though - and I think it has a little more interesting character and is a little more complex than the new version.
Current MacBaren Version:

This is a little stronger, less sweet, and less cased than its brother in the gold tin. Slight citrus, fig, and a little grass/hay and earthy taste with a nice mild to medium dark fruit Virginia flavor. Also is slightly sugary. Not a very complex blend, though there are a couple of different Virginias in the mix. If you want something a little stronger and less sweet than Capstan Gold, or a straight Virginia that's less stronger than Gawith Full Virginia Flake, this will give you what you want. Has a mild nic-hit. A very comfortable all day smoke to pack and light with enough nicotine to get your attention without overwhelming your senses.

Reactions: Scottmi
Status
Not open for further replies.