PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This 1980/81 version of Nightcap is similar to the version I smoked in the 1990s, though age has changed it a little. The latakia has dulled with time, and doesn’t dominate quite as it would when fresh, although it’s still the prevailing component. The Virginia is grassy sweet and is a little more obvious than later versions, which I attribute to age and the diminution of the latakia flavor. The perique is slightly spicy in a supporting role. The Oriental is smoky and woody, much the same as I have experienced in later versions. It’s a less stronger and smoother smoke than when fresh - more of a medium strength blend - and mildly sweeter as a result of time. The nicotine level is a little lower, too. Burns well with a consistent taste and as always, leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Despite the changes age has brought, the majority of Nightcap smokers would likely recognize it in a blind taste test.
Many thanks to RBlood for gifting me this sample. It was an education that I appreciate very much.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on this Jim. I really enjoy your reviews - you have a rare gift my good sir.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Been smoking Nightcap since the early 70s, agree it hasn't changed much. Tried other lat-containing blends and for me it's always come back to in for a penny, in for a pound and Nightcap is the mackdaddy of lat blends.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't had any other Dunhill blend, that I can think of. It's my first full year of piping, but I found Nightcap to be something I could smoke with pleasure any time of the day. It has big full flavor, nice nic value and burns perfectly every time.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've had the good fortune of enjoying several bowls from a 1970's era tin of NC and agree that it's changed very little. Even with all that age on it there was no mistaking what it was and although the Latakia was slightly muted, it was still very much present throughout the smoke as Jim noted. One truly great blend that's survived the buyouts that happen in the tobacco world.

Status
Not open for further replies.