PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This review is based on a sample of the 1930s version, which I had the good fortune to try. This blend is still made, though not available in the USA. The burley is a little nutty and toasty. The Virginia is earthy, lightly sweet with earth and grass notes, and a mild tanginess. The unsweetened black cavendish has only a slight effect on the smoke, and I suspect it has lost more from aging than the other components have. The Virginia has the characteristics of full maturity in strength and taste, more so than the burley does, and often takes the lead, though I usually notice the burley more early in the proceeding. Fairly smooth and mild to medium in strength and taste with a moderate nic-hit. It’s a shag cut that burns a little slower than your average shag, hardly requiring any relights. There are a few cigarette/cigar notes after the half way point, though they are less obvious if you puff slowly, which produced better results for me when I did. Leaves nothing but ash at the finish. Could pass for an all day smoke.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That's very interesting. Have you smoked any other antique tobacco's? I am always fascinated by these reviews as the only one I ever reviewed was 'War Horse' and that was from the 1930's I think as it nearly killed myself, Dan and Andre with a nicotine sledge hammer before we sent it off for analysis to crack the damned things DNA!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've never tried War Horse. That's a great name for a tobacco, though.
I've tried several antique blends: Three Nuns from the 1960s and WW2, EGR from 1960. ERR from 1945, the '50s, and '60s. Edgeworth Slices from the '50s and '60s. Mid-1920s Half & Half, 1950s Revelation, 1964 Field & Stream (the perfume darn near killed me), SWR from every decade since the 1940s,'60s Balkan Sobranie, 1930s Capstan Blue (going to have some 1920s coming my way, too, and probably a couple more not coming to mind at the moment. I've also tried a few McClelland and MacBaren blends from the '70s and early '80s. Sail Yellow from the early 1980s.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've had a couple of bowls of the 1930's Richmond. Like all of these superannuated blends that I've so far sampled, it has faded a bit, but there is still evident a distinctive character that can be coaxed out when smoked very slowly. The nuttiness of the burley is most prominent for me, with bit of sweetness that combines in some draws to create a faint caramel taste. That nutty flavor lingers in my mouth after each bowl. But there is something else that comes across faintly as a floral note, almost as if there had been a topping using some kind of floral essence. This is the only tobacco that I've smoked that makes my nose run, which reinforces the sensation that a flower essence or something of a similar ilk had been used in the topping.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have wondered about that topping, too, but time has made it a little too elusive for me to figure it out. However, deer tongue and/or molasses comes to mind.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey guys ... I just finished up my sample as well. I felt like the Va itself contributed quite a bit of the earthiness. One thing that Jim mentioned was the propensity for the smoke to become cigarette-like. I definitely experienced that aspect. My best smoke from that sample was after a brief rehydration and very firm packing into a small pot / prince. Deep, earthy, musty with subdued dark molasses is what I got from that bowl.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never really had much of an inclination to try these things out but everyones take on these different ancient tobacco's is just fascinating.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cobguy: I'm glad to hear you noticed molasses, too. I wondered if I was imaging it because it was such a minor note.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked my sample last night and noticed the molasses sweetness through the entire bowl. I did not detect any hints of deer tongue in the nose nor any visual evidence of it in the blend but it is an interesting thought.

Another surprise for me was how slow it burned. I used my Dunhill Red Bark group 4 billiard and it lasted 45 minutes, a long time for a shag cut.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Papipeguy: I didn't notice deer tongue either. I only mentioned as a possible explanation for the floral note Sablebrush discussed. You got more molasses than I did since you noticed it more prominently. I wasn't entirely sure of it. As you know toppings are fragile in vintage blends, and some times it can be guess work as to what it is. For example, when I smoked a sample of 1950s Revelation, it was a great effort to find the rum topping, yet I knew it had been there. I needed to make sure I wasn't noticing it just because I knew it had originally been there. I wanted to find it on my own without being influenced by my knowledge. In the case of the Richmond blend, I did not know what topping was used, and since the molasses was so faint to my taste buds, I wasn't absolutely convinced I was right about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.