PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I've been setting my eye on a new Ashton Pebble Grain XX with some marvelous ring grain, and is sort of saving up for it. However, I have recently found out that many prefer their Ashtons to be from the Bill Taylor era instead. Could anyone share their ideas on this matter? What is the difference that makes people prefer the old productions?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I think a lot of it is nostalgia for Bill Taylor.I have 3 Bill Taylor era Ashtons and love them.I dont have any Jim Craig ones but I believe they are also very good pipes,sure there will be differences but I will let people with first hand knowledge of both chime in

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks paulfg! Anticipating some extra input... I would also appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me about the usual price for an XX Pebble Grain. Would $180 qualify as a reasonable deal?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
after a quick search it doesnt look too bad.Cup ojoes have 2 XX size pebble grains @ 230 dollars.On pollito pipes italy they quote 155 euros (approx 175 USD) for that size and grade

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I'm currently saving up for an ashton as well. How do you distinguish between the two?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The first pipe was made in 1983. From this year and at least up to 2002 pipes were stamped with a suffix number after the origin "Made in England". It starts with no. 3 in 1983 and continues counting up to no. 25 in 2005. First year pipes were stamped with simple block lettering and did not include a finish stamping. The origin on first year pipes was stamped "MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND". There were only 31 pipes made in total in 1983, which means they are quite rare and sought by Ashton collectors.
the current production uses a 3 figure coding ie 218 for 2018

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Correct, Craig Era Ashtons all have three digit stamp codes.

The X size designation was very consistent with Taylor Ashtons (X, XX, XXX and LX, etc.) The more X's, the larger the pipe is. Craig X designations, including LX are very inconsistent. So check the weight, not the size designation if that is important to you.
Taylor nomenclature:

Craig nomenclature:
s-l500.jpg

By example, this LX grade Craig pipe, is 43 grams, which is typically what a XX Taylor pipe would weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashton-LX-Old-Church-Bent-Rhmdeian-Pipe-w-Green-Brindle-New-COOPERSARK-N-R/352585028237?hash=item5217b4928d:g:voQAAOSwkAxcVmfH:rk:3:pf:0
This Taylor era LX is 73 grams.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHTON-pipe-pipa-pfeife-Sovreign-LX-silver-cup-silver-ring-rare-smoked-estate/302828748379?hash=item4681fffe5b:g:HVUAAOSwAopbYtBc:rk:41:pf:0

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for all the input! ssjones, the XX Pebble Grain (Canadian) I'm interested in weighs 36 grams. Would that be a typical weight for an XX?

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thank you. Just pulled the trigger, it's the first time a pipe really spoke to me. Site sponsor lepipe.it has some great selections!

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Bill Taylor was a good friend of mine. I actually think that Jim Craig's Ashtons are better finished. Some of Bill's stems were kinda funky. Just a few months ago you could still buy Ashtons made by Bill on ebay for less than $125. I don't know why the sudden upsurge in prices.
Most people don't know Bill made pipes for Astleys. Astleys got the pick of his production. Bill would take a couple dozen unstamped pipes to Paul Bentley, who would pick through them and choose the finest. Bill would take them back to his factory and stamp them for Astleys. I once asked Bill why, and he said because Paul would pay him in cash on the spot for the pipes, where he often had to wait months for payments from others for his Ashton branded pipes.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, Bill sold to Paul Bentley, a real gentleman and excellent payer. He really looked after Les, me & Bill. He was more interested in doing business with the individual pipe-makers than the larger concerns.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for the info Mr. Barnes! Your PM reply last time helped me greatly, now I'm waiting for a P Grade Upshall and the Ashton as if Christmas was in February:)

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Chamber diameter 0.79 in. | 20 mm

Outside diameter 1.30 in. | 33 mm

Chamber depth 1.50 in. | 38 mm

Length 6.02 in. | 153 mm

Bowl height 1.69 in. | 43 mm

Weight 34 grams
Thanks! It's my most costliest pipe to this date, but I couldn't help it, it's just soo good.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,to be honest I never shouldn't have seen this very thread because want or not,it lead me to acquiring myself a similar one ,perhaps a hair shorter version of that what Alex52 had himself,based on my online research over this week these seem to be kinda short in supply yet internal and outer dimensions do vary a bit depending on the manufacturing year and batch.This is to be my very first Ashton pipe by curtesy of Casaropipe.It
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/paulie66scandinavian/album/picture/30033

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/paulie66scandinavian/album/picture/30034

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have a couple Craig Ashtons. They are well made and smoke fine. In my opinion they are a very good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.