PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
I was looking for some estate pipes on the Internet and stumbled upon an offer for 12 pipes plus a few accessories for a really good price (around 30 dollars).

What picked my interest was a "Jima" pipe with a pretty striking design. I had never heard of it but from a few minutes research on pipedia I gathered that it is a French pipe, produced between the 60s and the 80s and that it sports a ceramic lined plastic bowl and a metallic stem.

Have you guys heard of it before or even tried it?

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
jFfQbL5

cwknSZl

Here are the pictures the seller sent me,I'll post more if I do end up buying it

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Was reading about it on Pipedia. I noticed this:
"While the housing was made of hard plastic, the bowl proper was made of a pressed white clay which has been mistaken for meerschaum or sepiolite. "
Jima pipe info
It's interesting for sure.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes, I had bought one from my father in the 65's for Father's Day, he gave it to my grandfather who smoked it a little but had to prefer his pipe in briar.
The stove is surrounded by plastic with a space to stay cold, and in the pipe that dislodges there is a kind of spring that filters.It must be avoided to disassemble completely.
The advantage is that it is not very heavy, the smoke is quite fresh and it would say an extraterrestrial pipe ... :)

gesufal

Lurker
May 30, 2018
If you bought it in 1965 it must have been pretty new then.

I actually don't really like the way it looks and my wife will more than agree with me but I'm strangely attracted to it,I think I'll buy it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plastic with a clay liner doesn't sound too promising to me. But with a batch of pipes, you might get some good/better ones.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
It is still a pipe a little fragile, to smoke rather inside or to treat with a minimum of precaution, for a careful guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.