PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
A review I posted on TR
I purchased Brown Flake having enjoyed the other JFG offerings of Rich Dark Flake, Plumcake Mixture and Royal Jersey Perique. Brown Flake can be difficult to find in the UK so having acquired a tin I was looking forward to trying it.
Some say this is the brother of RDF, I can confirm there are very little similarities. The tin note upon opening is of oats and enjoyable. However, to describe this as Flake tobacco is somewhat loose. The tobacco comes in a block with few discernible flakes. That’s not to say it is a plug as it can be taken apart with your fingers. It also lacks the cognac/brandy overtones of RDF.
Overall I was disappointed with the smoke. It was bland, 1 Dimensional and acrid. Only occasionally did the oaty tin note come through. To qualify, I tried this blend in all manner of pipes, varying in size with various packing techniques. It gets a little more desirable with a few weeks drying time under its belt, but not enough that it would be a regular in my rotation. May buy again out of curiosity in a few years, but won’t be yearning for it if I don’t.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hi James,
Not to hijack the thread about Brown Flake, but where can one get Rich Dark Flake? I can't seem to find it on any of the websites. Do they sell it in tins or only in bulk?

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
RDF is available in the UK, similar apparently to Stonehaven, although I haent tried SH so I cannot comment on that point.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Only in the UK, eh? Sort of like a "posh Condor…" Will have to check the UK sites and hope the shipping to Europe doesn't destroy my wallet. Any UK online tobacco shops you can recommend?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've been wanting to try this for some time now but never can find it. I have got Medium Flake and it is a winner in my book. When sipped the flavor is wonderful. That's why I would like to try this.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
@ Mustanggt, I have a tin of Medium Flake in my cellar. I was going to leave it there for a while. In your opinion is the orange flavour pronounced?

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Orange? I've never experienced that flavor. Citrus and hay but my pallet detects good or bad, tasty etc. not specific flavors like some folks can. It's worth the smoke at any age so I'd pop it, as a matter of fact I'll do that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.