PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having read mention of this (previously unknown to me) album on a thread recently I immediately ordered it from Amazon and it arrived this morning.
I have been a fan of Tull for many years and have most of their albums, Aqualung (Anniversary Edition) and A Little Light Music being my favourites so I was rather excited to receive this live version of Aqualung which was recorded in front of an invited audience in Washington back in 2005.
All tracks are played in their original order (thankfully) though of course with a more contemporary twist. The original was recorded in 1971 I believe.
The opener, Aqualung has guitarist Martin Barre really showing his talent as indeed he does throughout the entire album. Anderson's flute and acoustic guitar are pretty much flawless also.
The way the pair of them duel with each other on Locomotive Breath is stupendous and on the closing track Wind Up again Barre really lets go with his riffing guitar and his solo.
The only (slight) let down for me was Mother Goose which seems to have lost some of its original magic.
There are a few interviews with Anderson after the music has played out but I didn't listen to them as I personally find the guy to be a bit big headed and egocentric...but that's just my opinion.
If you are a Tull fan and have not heard this I highly recommend you buy it. Not only for the excellent music but also for the reason that all proceeds go to homeless charities...win win :puffy:
Many thanks to the now forgotten member for bringing this album to my attention :worship:
Regards,
Jay.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Sun streaking cold

an old man wandering lonely.

Taking time

the only way he knows.
Leg hurting bad,

as he bends to pick a dog-end

he goes down to the bog

and warms his feet.
Feeling alone

the army's up the rode

salvation à la mode and

a cup of tea.
Aqualung my friend

don't start away uneasy

you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bob, you really should get it. Mine cost me a mere £3:51 new via Amazon...absolute bargain!
Stan, the only vinyl album by Tull that I still have is an original double version of Living In The Past. Much played and scratched (bought second hand way back circa 1980) it gets the occasional spin now and again :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have original pressings of all the quintessential releases by Tull, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Passion Play and maybe War Child, all still in excellent shape. If you ever get a reissue, pay attention to the quality of the vinyl it is on, whether it was mastered from the original tapes and if new and available, if it was half-speed mastered.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"OH yeah I will be getting this. Thanks Jay."
Johnbarleycorn, you must let us know what you think of it once you have it :puffy:
For the price of a pint in my local it's an absolute bargain. Shame it's not available as a SACD though.
Regards,
Jay.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My dad @Almost@ wore out his original vinyl of Aqualung. I finished it off before I graduated High School. One of the best albums ever. I will look into getting this, especially since it benefits charity.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
man my favorite album is song from the woods, amazing and beautiful, love to smoke my pipe to this album, aqualung is amazing, i have to listen to the live album,

Dec 28, 2015
Haven't listened to songs from the wood in ages. but was just thinking the other day what a good album it would be for a smoke. this weekend for sure. Still haven't gotten the Live Aqualung album yet but did listen to Living in the Past this morning. So much good Tull.....so little time!

Dec 28, 2015
Currently listening to songs from the wood with a Peterson XL02 full of squadron leader and a bottle of Bells two hearted ale. This weekend is starting to shape up quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.