Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Jesse Silver, who is quite an intriguing man. He is a Barling Pipes collector, and has a wealth of knowledge on the subject. He also has quite an interesting background and vocation. He is a motion picture visual effects artist. He has been involved in TV, cartoons, movies - many of which you might be familiar.
Tune in at 8pm eastern US time, or catch the podcast in the morning.
Jesse Silver

jesse-silver.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fantastic! I've been waiting for this one. I'm looking forwarding to learning about how Jesse(sablebrush52) came to know so much about British briar and his experiences in the film industry.

May 31, 2012
Stellar performance!
First, big ups to Brian for setting such a comfortable stage once again, the interviews always have a very natural flow and the interviewee seems at ease, must be the good vibes.
I enjoyed listening, never knew Tarzana existed in SoCal, and then into the art production movie stuff was cool, I was better able to follow it because I just finished watching the whole Mark Cousins series The Story of Film: An Odyssey, so I was sorta in tune with it, much moreso than I'd usually be...
...but I must offer mild dissent and say it was Iwerks Studio that invented the multiplane, LOL please pardon my nerdiness, but I'm a screwball fan and like cartoons that're cartoony...

... Disney was obsessed with realism and strove to create an environment in which rigidly contained characters behave according to strict visual, narrative, and social rules, but the principles at work in Fleischer-space are the exact opposite. Betty Boop and Popeye inhabit a profoundly rubbery world, in which the fourth wall is full of holes, distinctions between human, animal, vegetable and inanimate taxonomies are unstable, and the boundary between cartoonal and real space is up for grabs.
And wowza, TRON, too cool, just too cool.

Love that luminous blue glow.

And TOTAL RECALL, a stone-cold classic,

I'm a big Dickhead of the Philip K. variety, and that flick flipp'd my lid.
I'd love to hear more about the cartoon/animation stuff.
And then the pipes.

Great story about the g/f's father the collector and how the spark was re-sparked and how Barling won the heart and the archeological diggings into history which has enriched us all, not only with hard data info, but a generous spirit too, the explanation about a preference for the term family era totally makes sense and I dig how Jesse can make this mythic brand seem more attainable for all, more accesible as it were, as strange as it may sound, that's the feeling I get, and I very much appreciate all the gifts he's given us because all the historical stuff is truly fascinating.
Thanks for being a contributor here on PM.com and freely sharing all your hard-won knowledge.
Good stuff!

Three cheers!

neilk

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
Traditional English pipes, Lonesome Dove contributor, Christ exalting twisted Christmas rock n roll, pipe smoking Frosty and Hawaii five-0...doesn't get much better than this. Happy five-0, Kevin.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That was another great show. The interview with Jesse didn't disappoint. "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "Tron" - winner!

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Brian, At first it was bumpy but now I'm addicted to a wonderfully executed podcast.

Being a friend with Mike Garr I liked that one the best but everyone is very informative and entertaining.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.