PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Only $7,000.00, exceeding the recent high of the Xu Hai at $6,500.00. Fine straight grain but not exquisite; were it so $10,000.00-$15,000.00?
I ran across Rob Cooper's "An Economic Reality Of Fills In Pipes" that quotes Lars Ivarsson as saying that only 5% of his blocks are free of fills. I don't know but imagine that the number of blocks with great grain is comparably low. Given this, although I am no longer surprised by such prices, I still wonder how makers like Chonowitsch and Bang acquire a seemingly greater proportion of blocks with fine grain than their competitors. I can only think by an arrangement with the briar mill. But as reading a block for the grain can only approximate what is revealed when it is cut, how could the mill select such blocks for makers who are willing to pay for the privilege, and if the makers are selecting their briar themselves, they would be similarly hampered. My best guess is that several different grain patterns are possible from every block but that experience selects the best.
But I don't know how the pipe royalty seem able to procure the very best wood. Meanwhile, best jump on that $7,000.00 Chonowitsch before it sold out from under you!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
He does like that Brandy shape. One he made for W.O. Larsen (I'm pretty sure) only sold for $272 last week. I'd post some pictures, but ebay's new interface makes it very difficult, if not impossible to go back to ended listings!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Sorry, I"m calling BS...
But, as PT Barnum said "there's one born every minute"

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
From the description on the website
"He has specialized in refining every procedure in pipemaking, from initial carving to internal engineering"
Getting two holes to meet in the same place IS NOT ENGINEERING
I"m sorry, this whole trend of multi thousand dollar pipes is absolute bullshit and will only end badly for pipe smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's like the seven thousand dollar sports jacket. Some of these ultra-luxury products or works of art are invested with the aura of a namey maker and true investment of career development and time. They sell mostly to people who have hit the jugular of high income, built a business that took hold, sold it, diversified investments, and built a money machine that produces exponentially. They aren't marshaling limited resources to own lovely objects usually, but are rather managing the fire hose of income so that their discretionary spending is vast. These folks buy a mansion the way I might buy myself a nice bottle of wine. All I do is drink the wine, whereas the mansion is just another part of their portfolio. So seven thousand bucks for a pipe, or seventeen thousand ... not so much from that point of view. As long as Dr. Grabow and Missouri Meerschaum remain, it shouldn't impede a good tobacco pipe smoke. Not to mention Nording, Stanwell, Savinelli, BC, etc. etc. An acquaintance who co-built a record label and sold it, then retired, said it was not something you could plan or expect, you just hit the right project by luck and worked very hard. That was his take.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Would you pay 7 bucks for a pipe like that... of course you would. 7 grand for some people is the same as 7 bucks for us mortals. They don't even think twice spending that amount.
If I was one of those people, I would buy that pipe in a minute and then fire it up and cut the value in half without thinking twice about it.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I should probably clarify.
Its not so much the absolute BS spoken as it is the fact that they actually expect us to believe it.
I just think someone should be calling it out. The emperor's new clothes

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Is it just me or is the grain not that spectacular? I have seen much nicer Charatans, Upshalls and even finer grained pipes of other Danish makers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm thinking that although sellers care about the pipe community's perceptions, what they care about most is money, and as the high-dollar pipes continue to sell, they in fact care very little, especially when the dissent comes from a few peons on a forum. The $7,000.00 Chonowitsch hasn't sold yet, but likely it will over the weekend.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I sincerely wonder just what percentage of their business comes from all us "peons" ?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A Jess Chonowitsch pipe for W.O. Larsen from back in the day. Pearl Grade, the highest grade for Larsen pipes.
screenshot-2018-6-8-w-o-larsen-straight-grain1-600x389.png

screenshot-2018-6-8-w-o-larsen-straight-grain-600x227.png

:)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The left view is stunning, the right perhaps 70% of the left. I'm thinking with 360 degrees of grain as good as the left, and with Chonowitsch the maker, not $10-$15K but $20K.
dmcmtk, thank you for the Larsen picture. Very beautiful!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Beautiful!
He does like that Brandy shape. One he made for W.O. Larsen (I'm pretty sure) only sold for $272 last week. I'd post some pictures, but ebay's new interface makes it very difficult, if not impossible to go back to ended listings!
Dmc- I couldn't even find that one. If you can supply a link, I'll see if we can't pull a photo off it. (I like messing with little challenges on the web.)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you want a Chonowitch that's what it costs. I can't afford a Chonowitch either but I don't whine about it. It doesn't matter what somethings worth to you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ghost, I hear you, and to tell you the truth I'm unsure why it is that I recurrently post about these grossly, according to me, over-valued pipes.
However, I start with the briar that must be multiplied by ~100 in Xu Hai's and the Chonowitsch pipes to reach the lofty prices they commanded. Add being compensated for the time and skill of the maker and we're still at no more than a $1,000.00 which must be multiplied by roughly 65 to reach same.
I've talked to smokers who claim that to them a pipe can produce the same experience as a sublime work of art, and I think that in this we come to the best explanation, that the entirely subjective world of artistic perception is in play, wherein, perhaps, a dog turd can be framed by the beholder as exquisite to the extent that its value grows out of all proportion.
Excessive valuation is thus a human judgment tied to better and best as well as a matter of the economy, providing both maker and seller with cushy compensation that is only justifiable according to a humanly, perhaps perverse, perception.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
7 grand for some people is the same as 7 bucks for us mortals
Exactly...not an exaggeration in the least...and it’s not just pipes. The prices on high-end luxury goods, collectibles, art, rarities, etc. have been at record highs for a while now and continue to rise...simply because there is an unprecedented accumulation of money at the highest end of the socio-economic spectrum.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Brings to mind the famous painting of a pipe called 'This is not a pipe'. A 7000$ pipe is not a pipe. It is an image enhancing luxury item for show off or alternatively an exquisite piece of art, something to marvel at. I don't marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.