PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up during the heyday of Jerry Lee Lewis and always appreciated him as the crazy

rock'n'rolling master of killer piano and piano stool kicking, and getting his shoes on the

keyboard, and doing those amazing riffs and rolls on the keys, and a red hot vocalist too.

About five years ago, I came back to his work, and was fascinated that just below the

mayhem was a mysterious calm in the voice, while the keyboard was flying faster than

the speed of light. He was never pushing or yelling (much) but had an even control of the

whole explosion. Going back to him today on youTube, I am astonished at what a precise

pianist he was, behind all that fire and crazy energy. The naive teenagers who made him

a star weren't wrong. He's an incredible talent. I can only shrug at his crazy personal life,

but once on stage at the microphone, he was a complete original and master of his form.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My Dad was/is a big fan of his. He used to say that Jerry was cousins with Mickey Gilley (a country singer) and Jimmy Swaggart (televangelist). So he comes from an anointed family tree, for sure.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like his music, but after reading this, my viewpoint on him has changed: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/11/the-strange-and-mysterious-death-of-mrs-jerry-lee-lewis.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a happy story of the death of JLL's wife. Given his problem with booze, it is not far fetched, if it

will never be proven or disproven. Maybe that's why he's still around, afraid to depart.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I started playing piano when I was a toddler, and they thought I was some kind of prodigy and made me take lessons and play classical in recitals. One day wheh I was about 14, my piano teacher, a former concert pianist, was a little late for my lesson and arrived in time to catch me rendering Beethoven in Jerry Lee style, standing up, elbows and shoes on the keys, the whole act...on his antique Steinway. Threw me out on the spot :) Haven't played classical since then but I still rock it like the Killer. Him, Little Richard, Professor Longhair, Dr. John, Marcia Ball...love em all! Some years ago there was a guy named J.D. Richards (or Richardson, I forget) who looked like a young Jerry Lee and did his act down to a T. Don't know whatever happened to him but he was awesome. The late Charlie Rich was another great rock piano player.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have his last CD, which is covers of some classic rock songs, it is quite good. I also have a few of his "Gospel" albums which are also excellent.
"Mean Old Man"

http://jerryleelewis.com/?p=482

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jerry Lee Lewis still has a voice and piano chops, though he's elderly and somewhat shuffling around.

Even when he was a wild youngster, he had a strange inner calm, if you listen to his vocal under the

musical mayhem. It's unnerving. It's all controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.