PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Are the old Jerry Hannah GBD info sites gone? I can not find them anymore. I dug around and found some links but they don't work.

I'd like to look through the model info he had.
http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
^^ This used to be the old site.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks Al. I'd like to get a look at those old catalog descriptions Jerry had listed. Quite a few had how certain models were finished. For example, I refurbed a GBD Ebony 9438. Afterwards I was looking through Jerry's catalog notes and it stated the Ebony model was stained in warm brown and golden tones with a matte finish. I went back and toned down the super shine on my Ebony. It would be great to have those details when you're trying put a pipe back to factory specs.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a few scanned catalogs and some of the pages from Jerry's old site. (shape numbers, finish list, etc.) I think that I have catalogs from '61, '69 and '78. I'll have to get them uploaded into a Drop-Box folder.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Aren't you familiar with the Wayback Machine? Go to archive.org and enter Hannah's old website address in the Wayback Machine box at the top of the page. Hit return. You'll see scores of screen captures of Jerry's pages showing successive versions over a multi year period. You can not only see his pages, but any evolutions over time. Just pick the year and date, and click on the link. This works for most "vanished' websites.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I scored a great piece (in my eyes) at the NASPC show this year; a GBD Prehistoric "Restlite" saddle bit billiard.

Despite my interest in GBD I had never encountered one of these. A cursory Google search and on Pipedia lists "Restlite" along with the seconds.

It's my assumption that the stamp is NOT indicative of it being a second.. it's a fully stamped GBD Prehistoric, rondelle and all.

So, I'm inferring that the Restlite designation was a counter to the "Collector/Conquest/Collossus" stamps. More petite, Group 1-2 sized pipes.
Ssjones or anyone else with older catalogs.. is there any mention of Restlite in those?
Edit: I did just find this mention from a 1950 catalog, though it seems they weren't doing them in the Prehistoric finish at that time.
b0VvB1P.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So it seems the feature of being a "Restlite" was not necessarily the size of the pipe, but the stem which was "long and flat" to aid in comfortable clenching.

I can get behind that!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'll post some links later this evening.
@jguss: I thought you were joking! I had no knowledge of using archive.org to access old websites. I'll give it a shot.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Al,
I thought you might have misunderstood me. That's why I posted again.
The Wayback Machine is a very handy tool. It works the vast majority of the time for me.
Jon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I'm an idiot. I couldn't find anything on the Way back machine but a number of Perardua links that were dead. is there an idiots tutorial?...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a 1969 catalog that I scanned. Tedious work with the equipment/software available to me, but it is pretty legible. This comes courtesy of member "Glouchesterman" (aka Dutch) who sent me a number of GBD catalogs he found. This was the only one with a date, so I did it first (the others are very similar). The only item that I could not scan, was a multi-page, fold-out shape chart, but those are on the web already. Here's the link to the file in my Drop-Box, it is in PDF format.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knfpucb4djbxmiv/GBD_Catalog_1969.pdf?dl=0

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for the catalog! I have a pile of GDB relics to restore. Most have no stem, so this will be a PROJECT.
I did find reference to the old site on archive.org, but nothing but 'not found' sort of messages, or unauthorized or something.
If anyone has links that work, please post them.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Al,
It's like anything else; just takes a bit of experience.
Try this:
1) go to archive.org
2) at the top of the page it'll say Wayback Machine, and next to that will be an open search box that says "enter URL or keywords"
3) into that box enter http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html and hit enter or return
4) a search result will then appear that says this page was saved 96 times between March 3, 2001 and February 3, 2017
5) below that is something that looks like a ruler broken into years, with black verticle lines showing the captures in each year
6) click on a box (I.e. a segment of the "ruler") to highlight a given year, and below the "ruler" will appear the twelve calendar months in that particular year. Blue bubbles show which dates in each month were captured
7) click on a blue bubble and you'll be brought to the page that was captured on that day in that year
NOTE: recent captures may have been after the webpage went down, so to play it safe pull up an earlier capture. For example, for Hannah's page first click on the year 2008 in the "ruler" above, then click on the blue bubble on July 6th. That'll take you to what the page looked like on that date. Here's a direct link to that page: https://web.archive.org/web/20080706185144/http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
Also note that in order to capture the various links you sometimes have to try various dates for the capture. Likewise if you're looking to see how the material on the webpage evolved over time you can do this by pulling up sequential capture dates.
That explanation was more wordy than I wanted it to be, but let me know if you can now see the GBD page by Jerry Hannah.
Jon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Jon. I didn't know the ruler was the key. I was able to see much of the old site accessing via the dates you mentioned.
I found a lot of the pages that I had saved from this site (model listings, etc.). I print to PDF and save them that way.(but probably need to catalog them better in my hard drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.