Jeremy, Greg, Russ: Can You Tell Us How The New FDA Regs Impact You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
We've seen discussions amongst us consumers, but what about from the manufacturers? What can any of you say about how the regs will affect your production?
1) New labels on everything soon, correct?

2) Blends newer than 2007: Already good to go, or need to go through the process or get yanked from the shelves?

3) Toppings: Are aromatics done? Need to change names to remove flavor from the name? Does each new topping need FDA approval first?
What else could you tell us you're doing in order to comply?
Thanks!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jmatt, my thoughts exactly, Thanks for bringing this up. We can bitch, but these guys will be directly affected before we are. Think of the job crushing the FDA will do.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great thread! Very interested in hearing their insight. I know it's a bit early, but they can probably help clarify these regulations as is now.
I'm sure many steps will be taken to try and reverse them or diminish them.

kyohan

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
I am also looking forward to hearing their insight. I've already started putting together a list of "must have" tobaccos that I will need to stockpile if they may not be available soon and just need to know if I need to pull the trigger :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Would love to hear this as well, but I imagine they're calling lawyers now. There may be a limit on what they can tell us, especially if it is possible that some will perceive they are speaking for their employers.
Then again, anonymous accounts were designed for this sort of thing :)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Then again, anonymous accounts were designed for this sort of thing :)
Problem with this is an anonymous user speaking takes away from getting the info straight from the horses mouth...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As the response so far would suggest, I think folks in the industry are sitting tight and waiting for clarification, hoping to cut the best arrangements on how the regulations are implemented. No one wants to call attention to themselves if this is their livelihood, at least until some legal lines are drawn. I think one of our Forums members in the industry noted that aromatic sales are about 95% of the pipe tobacco business, so that would affect every tobacco wholesaler, blender, and retailer.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
There are far too many businesses and those employed in the tobacco industry in this country for them to go down without a fight. A bureaucracy cannot be allowed to go around willy nilly creating regulations which might affect commerce. The whole thing seems like it can be challenged in court.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How I survived Navy boot camp. I was the company education officer (drilled the guys for their written tests). Stayed low profile around the company commander (like drill instructor). After hours in barracks, bellowed out the necessary lessons. Company commander looked totally mystified when the company presented me with an engraved harmonica on graduation. I skipped the first liberty to tutor. I didn't feel the urgency to see Knotsberry Farm in my new uniform. And I felt a little in control of my life after the big boot camp mind game.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A lot of the blending tobaccos have been around since before 2007 so how does the new rules impact buying bulk blending tobacco?

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Hi there, everybody!
As many of you know, these FDA regulations are going to change things. How much? The truth is we are not yet sure. The regs are laid out in a 500 page document. Basically, until we are able to thoroughly go through this document and interpret the legalese, there is not much to report that has not already been made public.
The broad strokes are:
A)Pipe tobaccos that were on the market prior to Feb. 15, 2007 are grandfathered and require no further analysis.
B)Pipe tobacco brought to market after 2007 will be subjected to Substantial Equivalency testing. The requirements of this testing are, at this time, not yet clear, but C&D will be seeking authorization for our portfolio.
C) The FDA's press release indicates that tobacco manufacturer's have two years become compliant. There is also mention that there will be a one year review process on the part of the FDA. So product availability in the market may change, it could take two or three years for these changes to take effect.
Ultimately, I am confident that while the regulations are not yet fully known, C&D will be able to navigate them.
I hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.