PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The Happy President's Day thread made me think of this. For those who haven't seen this Meerschaum pipe before it belonged to Confederate President Jefferson Davis and was among his possessions during his two year imprisonment at Ft. Monroe, VA. Check out the detail of the carving!
5jMDrjY.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seeing pics of that bad boy years ago was what inspired the purchase of mine. Would love to have an amber stem made for mine.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15528

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Fascinating read Kevin! Would love to see more accounts of other notable historic pipesmokers!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@chasingembers Unless you are used to amber stems I would recommend you give it a miss. Amber is hard and can be very brittle and anything in the pipe department with a curved amber stem is an accident looking for a place to happen in my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Noted condor, have also read that it is very light sensitive as well. Thanks for the advice.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Sometimes history is not as distant or as far removed as we often think. All it takes is an object such as this pipe or sometimes a descendent of a historical figure to bridge the gap. I think that's why I enjoy it so much.
Just two yrs ago on Valentine's Day, 2013 Kit Carson Cody & his brother Barry Garlow Cody died together in a small plane crash in FL. They were the great-grandsons of William F. Cody.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jesse Winchester, the late singer-songwriter who lived in Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft, was a fifth generation

descendent of Robert E. Lee. I've visited the mausoleum where REL is entombed with many members of his family

in Lexingon, Va., on the campus of Washington-Lee University. Also there is the home of Stonewall Jackson who

taught there before he became in Confederate officer. He was such a self-conscious professor that he wrote out,

then memorized every lecture. As many people know, Robert E. Lee's beloved horse Traveler is buried just outside

the door to the family crypts. I heard Jesse Winchester about a year before he died about a mile from my home in

a small church in an industrial park. He really was a brilliant songwriter and looked somewhat like Robert E. Lee.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
MSO,
My dog Traveller is named in honor of a grey speckled Appaloosa my grandfather used to ride, who was in turn named in honor of Lee's Appaloosa, Traveller.
Cole Younger and his brothers were related to Robert E Lee thru their mother who was a Fristoe. She was directly related to "Light Horse" Harry Lee.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"From the colouring on it, he sure did not run short of tobacco during his imprisonment. :D"
Actually during much of his imprisonment Davis was chained and deprived of tobacco for his pipe. Quoted from the article Kevin linked above:
"Davis was manacled for much of his two-year incarceration until U.S. Army physician Lt. Col. John Craven, ordered the chains to be removed for the prisoner’s health. It was during this time that Craven, who had been assigned the Davis case, walked into the cell and was astonished at Davis’s distressing physical condition."
(Snip)
"When the doctor mentioned the pipe, he also noticed that Davis was apparently suffering from acute tobacco withdrawal. Until that day, his captors had prevented him from smoking. In response, the young doctor sent an aide to find a stash of tobacco and allowed Davis to fire up his lovely meer."

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
if any of you get the chance to hit the gulf coast, you should try to visit "beauvior", his retirement home in biloxi...it took a hit from katrina and took many a dedicated, unpaid hour from a world of folks to get her back into shape.
fascinating place and story.

Status
Not open for further replies.