PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I've been practicing my pipe repairing technique on,an old, no name junker. There wer a multitude of cracks in the bowl so I had to line the entire inside diameter of the bowl with JB Weld. I've never used this stuff before, and I wonder if the pipe is safe to smoke. I've repaired the outside of the pipe and its stem. It looks pretty good. Can I safely smoke it?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I certainly wouldn't. JB Weld is not made out of nice chemicals, and heating most chemicals tends to turn them into different, possibly nastier chemicals.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The MSD sheet says don't breathe the dust. I would break it into little pieces with a hammer and throw it away.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Ejames a respected member here suggested using a mixture of pipe mud and jb weld. I used it for a low spot in a pipe and it worked fine.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
For most repairs I use a good epoxy but have used JB Weld to repair broken shanks and to build up the bottom of burnt out bowls or bowls that have an airway drilled above the bottom of the bowl,or bowls that I have plugged. always with pipe mud over it. Wouldn't recommend it for lining an entire bowl interior, although it will certainly handle the heat,which is why I used it. Thin layers of pipe mud or fireplace mortar would be better I'd think since it wouldn't off gas any noxious fumes.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
With all due respect I would never smoke a pipe repaired with JB weld, even if covered with pipe mud.
There are enough cheap pipes in the world that it is unnecessary to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.