PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
Hi all

just got into jazz music and Im loving it now! any fellow jazz lover around? whot's your favorite jazz musician?

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Miles Davis, you can NEVER go wrong with him!!!!! John Coltranecis another and Esmeralda Spalding, she is AWESOME on the bass :puffy:

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
bambam, Im listening to Miles Davis right now! Im gonna check the other 2 you just mentioned! thanks!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Oh dear....Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, Coleman Hawkins, Miles Davis, Horace Silver(my personal favorite), John Coltrane, Sun-Ra, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Billie Holliday, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Chick Corea, The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Lionel Hampton, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins........

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I almost forgot....Lester Young, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Dexter Gordon, Max Roach, Art Tatum, Count Basie....I could keep going, but these are a good start! Buy Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, Time Out by Dave Brubeck, Atomic by Count Basie, Blue Train by John Coltrane, Songs For Debby by Bill Evans and Body and Soul by Coleman Hawkins to get your feet wet.

phallbass

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2016
Ahh.. weather report. The one that gets me and wife is first track from 8:30. Black Market. Jaco and Shorter go especially apecrap on that one. Can almost just laugh.

phallbass

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2016
That and the Shadows and Light I believe it's called. With Joni Mitchell. He's in tip top form on that imo. Can probably be utube'd . Just otherworldly playing/ sounding.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Zoot Sims, Charlie Parker, Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker will always be my favorite heroin fueled musicians.
But, Dave Brubeck took my breath away the very first time I heard an old Verve release of "Take Five." And Brubeck was a better musician because Paul Desmond was his saxophonist. (They were polar opposites but fed off each other.)

Brubeck's mass, "To Hope! A Celebration" a tribute to the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing is heart rendering beautiful.
Fnord

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Phil has good taste, I'll help him get your feet wetter. Air, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Keith Jarret, Paul Motian, Charles Lloyd, Henry Threadgill, Arild Andersen, Alex Cline, Max Roach, Codona, Oregon, Dave Holland, George Russell, Schlippenbach Trio, Eberhard Weber, Elvin Jones, Charlie Haden, Miroslav Vitous, Thomasz Stanko, Art Blakey, Cyro Baptista, Egberto Gismonti, Ralph Towner, Cecil Taylor, Masqualero....

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
My personal favorite is Chet Baker. There is also an album by Stan Getz and Bill Evans thats really good. I like the soft jazz, not much for the conceptual, noisy stuff..

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Band was always my favorite big band. A newer group I've found is Dirty Loops from Sweden-amazing musicians. There are so many new players around today that deserve a listen. I need to make a list.

All of the recommendations above are stellar.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Here's a suggestion somewhat outside the box-- Mose Allison. Wrote the song Young Man's Blues made famous by the Who on Live at Leeds. Mose is not strictly an instrumentalist and wrote witty lirrics and being from the Mississippi Delta his music was rhythmic, a bit funky and at the same time very jazzy. Search YouTube for Mose Allison, Parchman Farm-- classic Mose.

Status
Not open for further replies.