PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I was responding to the pipe hero(es) thread and I had to refer to Charles Mingus, one of my favorite jazz musicians.
So, it got me thinking.... how many of us love nothing more than Charles, Dave B, John C. or Miles with our pipe?????????
74029.jpg

61B6e-SkJ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
It depends on my mood and I do like jazz, but for me there is nothing better than a little bit of Schubert or Beethoven while I smoke away.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
Bukowski drank his ass off to Schubert and Beethoven. I drink my ass off to Mingus and Coltrane. Schubert on the way home from work puts me in a great mood. Either way, both are good for pipe smoking and drinking.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Lol, I don't know that much about Jazz so I am going to just have to take your word for. I think I'll have to look him up.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I listen to Jazz almost exclusively. Listening to to Milt Jackson & MJQ at the moment, and getting ready to dig into some McClelland Blue mountain.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Wow, Bukowski went straight over my head. Just goes to show you you can't learn everything in school.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I'm not too much into all the post-modern jazz stuff, or easy listening stuff, but jazz from back when... it doesn't get much better. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I play jazz guitar and a lot of players smoke pipes. A friend of mine who plays with Bucky and John Pizzarelli came into the B&M today while I was hanging out. We caught up on all things pipe related and talked some music.

Very cool guy and very down-to-earth.

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I love jazz. All kinds of it. New Orleans (Jelly Roll, Louis Armstrong Hot 5's & 7's), swing (Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, etc.), bop (Parker, Gillespie, Monk), hard bop (Art Blakey)... all kinds of great jazz. Oscar Peterson is my latest favorite, though.
And of course, like papipeguy said, lots of players smoked a pipe. Here's jazz legend Ron Carter.
Ron+Carter++with+Tobacco+Pipe.jpg

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Dad always had jazz on the car radio when I was little (classical jazz) and also played the trumpet Louis Armstrong style. So I grew up with it.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I grew up listening to my Gramps play Sax and Clarinet in a jazz group. Flip Phillips was the Sax players name on this track I believe...fella is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.