PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I don't clench, and I generally don't hold my pipes in my teeth (even loosely) for all that long. Nevertheless, there are time when my jaw becomes so misaligned that I cannot even bite down without serious complications. Sometimes, I need to click my jaw into place every time I close my mouth.
This condition lasts for one-three days, and always gets better.
What the hell am I doing to cause this?
Anyone else ever experience this?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Nope, never experienced that.
Better hit up your PCP.
Sounds annoying as hell though.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sounds like it may be TMJ or Temporomandibular joint disorder. I have it and have to sleep with a custom made mouthpiece that holds your teeth in a certain way so your jaw muscles and can relax at night and go back to their natural form. Muscles tend to compensate for near by muscles that are not pulling their weight. Mine got so bad it started affecting muscles in my nack and upper back and I had to have pain pills to just manage the pain. Finally got to a good doctor working with a good Oral surgeon. Stress and teeth grinding make it worse. I am not a medical professional but you need to get it check out before it gets worse. Link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Oh and because of this I only smoke bent pipes. A straight pipe puts just the right amount of pressure on my lower jaw to make it hurt and even be sore the next day.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm not sure if it's mind over matter or what, but after reading this I have been getting jaw pain like crazy. But also only when I smoke straights, and on one side of my monuth. Funny I have never noticed before that I have rather large K-9's on my lower jaw, and when I looked in the mirror I noticed that it shifts my jaw off to the side.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Over the years I've learned that more important than how well a pipe smokes is how well it hangs out of my mouth. I've got jaw issues and dental issues so I'm real picky about pipe weight, stem bent and even bit shape. I've had to dump some pretty decent smokers because they just didn't hang right for me.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I occasionally get this as well, but I clench often and it goes away in a few days. Didn't think of it being anything else because I never had jaw pain before.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Possibly grinding your teeth when you sleep? Have you ever boxed/fought and took a hard hit to the jaw and knocked you out?

I remember when I was younger my dad had jaw problems and they narrowed it down to teeth grinding in his sleep. They gave him fitted mouth guard and he hasn't had problems since. AFAIK he still grinds his teeth and still has to use a mouth guard. He's 67 and still has occasional problems with his jaw from grinding his teeth or if he forgets to wear the mouth guard before bed.
Just a thought..

Dec 24, 2012
Jaw pain can be a really horrible condition. My wife has had to live with it since our third date many years ago.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
My wife has the same problem, and she's not a smoker. Her doctor (not dentist) gave her some very simple exercises involving basically making very funny faces. But it's worked. So check with your doc.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, this is a very serious condition. Please show some respect and don't make light of another person's malady.

Status
Not open for further replies.