PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I had a tin of American Delight that was dented so I wanted to jar it. I bought a case of 12 ball jelly jars (2 oz. size). I had to use 2 not knowing I would not be able to pack it as tight. So the learning curve continues. I will get a case of 4 oz. jars and use these 2 oz. jars when I share tobacco with folks here on the forum. My initial thought was to jar 1/2 a tin and smoke the rest to see if I like it. I bought a box of lids so they can be replaced after washing the jars, so my view is that htis really not a loss for my $9 investment.
So a few of you just might be getting a PM from me wondering if I could send you a sample or two in these nice little 2 oz. jars :puffpipe:
P.S.

I jarred up a little Chelsea Morning, wonder what it will be like in a year??

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The referenced article by Kashmir really doesn't mean anything without references. The one reference he cites is about fermentation of tobacco (before canning), not aging.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I found Chelsea Morning to be a bit rough around the edges the first tin I smoked. I let the other one or two I bought sit for a while. I imagine time will smooth it out some. As far as jarring tobacco goes, if one opens a sealed tin to simply transfer it to the jar, this is something I don't understand. Sealed tins are a great place to let tobacco age without worry.

Mike S.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
if one opens a sealed tin to simply transfer it to the jar, this is something I don't understand. Sealed tins are a great place to let tobacco age without worry.
The tin was damaged and not sealed, that is why it was put in a jar.
It will taste like Chelsea Morning. Aging a blend isn't going to turn it into something different. For the most part the differences are subtle.
If that is the case then what is the point of aging at all :?:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Man, it would take a lot to damage a GLP style tin to the point of corrupting the seal. Obviously, jarring a tin that won't seal is a different matter altogether.I agree that you're not necessarily aging at that point, you're saving the blend...hopefully. When you have an open tin you want to keep fresh long enough to smoke the rest, you can cut a piece of wax paper or aluminium foil to act as a gasket seal for the lid. It works for me quite well when I open an 8 oz. tin of something. I have had no problems with moisture or flavor for a year of so. My tins are stored in my basement in Ohio in a small uneated closet.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.