PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I see most are using 8 oz. jars and putting about 2 oz. of tobacco in them.

I would like to jar mine in 1 ounce quantities. I just don't smoke fast enough to go through 2 ounces of 5 or 6 different blends.

Would those small 4 oz. jars hold 1 ounce? Or should I just put 1 oz. in 8 oz. jars? Do you pack it in the jars tight?

Man, this is confusing for a new guy...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If 8oz jars hold 2oz, then it is reasonable to assume the 4oz version holds 1oz... You can also store an oz in 8oz jars, I really don't see it being an issue, although the smaller ones would be better.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Just go with the Ball Jelly Jars (I think they are 8 oz). The half height 4 oz quilted ones are going to be too small to hold an ounce of tobacco. All ounces are not created equal in terms of volume occupied in the jar.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I use the Kerr half-pint wide mouth jars. I buy them at the supermarket. Depending on the cut etc. & how tightly I choose to pack it, I can usually get 2 to 4 oz. of tobacco in one. They hold 1 oz. samples nicely with some room for air. There is an even smaller 4 oz. quilted jelly jar that will also hold an ounce. As canning jars, they keep the tobacco fresh for a long time.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I would say buy 8 oz because there darn cheap, I never bought 4oz are they cheaper? As for packing it in there no don't do that, just drop it in, make sure there are at least two fingers worth of air at the top. That's pretty simple instructions I'm sure there are more complicated ones but that should get the job done. Happy smoking :)

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Russ, I would be afraid of mixing flavors with different blends in the same jar. But then, that may be a bonus in some cases!
I go the 'belt and suspenders' route. I fill up a gallon baggie and stuff that into the jar!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My 67 cents for insurance that will protect many pounds of tobacco over many years is a damn bargain.
I have to say, I do the same as Rothnh. I've read a bunch on these forums on best practices and from my POV, try to limit the amount of air. I fit about 4oz of tobacco in an 8oz jar.
An important aspect is: if you want the tobacco to last a long time, try not to open and close it frequently. What I sometimes do is remove about 1-2oz from an 8oz jar and move it to a smaller Ball jar. I then dip into that rather than opening and closing the larger jar that's meant for long term storage.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I use both the 8oz and 4oz jelly jars. The 4oz are about a dollar cheaper but will hold half as much so I only use them when I get a sample I want to halve. I use the method that was posted here by Bob and that works great. I was Leary of nuking it but 10 seconds seems to work fine. I write the name, date jarred, and amount on the lid to keep it tidy. Once it's in the jar you can't even smell it so I think they're well sealed.

tiny

Lurker
Feb 23, 2013
I use both the 8oz and 4oz. 8oz I use to cellar my bulk, and pack it tight to press it. The 4oz I use for 50g tins after opening (and a weeks supply of 100g tin).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use 5 pound jars and 2 pound jars in most cases although I do have a few 1.5 pounders. Space is an issue for me so I try to get as much in my jars as possible, plus I am only stocking 7 different bulks. These are only for long term storage and not to smoke out of. I have some smaller glass jars with the wire bail tops that hold around 4 ounces for smoking out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.