PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Seeing so many nice new pipes on the forum produced a bit of PAD in me. However I needed to do it on the cheap so bid and won an estate pipe for less than 10 bucks on a famous auction site. Now as I await the arrival of my new acquisition I wonder if anyone can shed light on this mysterious Jarl Chieftan pipe.
There is scant information online. Apparently it was a one man operation from a small town in Denmark. There is a bit of mention of it here on the forums: Jarl Pipes The examples on that thread are much nicer looking than mine! Also this brief thread:jarl-pipe-whats-oil-hardened. There is also a very brief entry in pipedia: https://pipedia.org/wiki/Jarl
It still isn't clear to me what the "oil hardened" stamp indicates. I also don't know what years these were produced. Does anyone have this or any other information about these mysterious pipes?
Here are some photos from the site I bid on. A cheap pipe but nevertheless I look forward to cleaning it up and giving it a try.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Welcome to the Jarl club.
That is a great pipe! Oil hardened seems to be a process similar to what Dunhill was doing. Jarl pipes have very dense old briar and the oil hardening creates a very cool, smooth smoking pipe. I believe he was the only carver in Denmark to oil cure his briar. The pipes were made in the 1950's to the late 1980's. When Niels Mogens Jørgensen died in 1991, the brand ceased as well.
There is not much info out there, I have spoken to a family member and they too are not willing to add any information about Jarl pipes. Enjoy that beautiful pipe!
You may have paid little for that pipe, but once you receive it you will see the quality.
Don

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thank you Don! That is some good information. By the way, your Jarl pipes on the thread I referenced above are beauties! I'd love to find one that is rusticated with the non-rusticated smooth oval panels. It's a nice look. I'm thinking that Jarl aficionados are something of a rarity so I'm grateful that you've shared your knowledge.
I'll update this thread when the pipe arrives and I've had a chance to smoke it. I think I'm going to like it. I'm leaning toward smaller pipes these days and this one is just 12.5cm (4.9 inches) long according to the description.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
You are very welcome, seldom.
Jarl pipes are ebay bargins!
I have a bit of a romantic side. I can picture a one man shop in Denmark at the high point of pipe making creativity, an older gentleman picks his briar, oil cures and dries it, shapes the pipe by hand, creates a beautiful stem... these are not mass produced pipes by any means.
The sandblasted Jarl pipes are really quite stunning, a mix of sandblasting and sometimes even rustification together, in contrast to the smooth briar panels, beautiful. I have a longer stemmed pipe, referred to by Jarl as a TV pipe, that is only sandblasted and he also had a real talent and skill as a blaster.
Don

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
That’s a nice looking pipe!
I always imagine what these old pipes could tell if they could only talk.
In a way, they already do.
Congrats on a nice find!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks redglow. Imagining the history of pipes is one of the things that make estate pipes so attractive to me. Last year I acquired a pipe that had a poor description, fuzzy photos, and was generally a gamble but also dirt cheap. It ended up being a BBB Own Make from 1899. Considering it was purchased in western Germany it survived two World Wars. I sometimes wonder if it saw military action or if perhaps it was taken from a British Soldier. I'll never know but that pipe has seen some history and I regularly smoke it.
I agree Mike! Less than 10 bucks is worth it.
Alright folks, it should arrive mid-week so I'll post some photos and information then.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It arrived today! The first thing I notice is how little it weighs, even for a small pipe. Everything seems to be in reasonably good order. There is a thin cake in the bowl but the prior owner didn't overload it so the rim is in good nick. He also appears to have regularly left a bit of dottle in the bottom because the cake ends before the very bottom of the bowl. There is a bit of oxidation on the stem but I think it'll clean up nicely. The underside of the shank has some birdseye. All in all for less than 10 bucks I am pleased and look forward to cleaning her up and giving her a whirl. Ah..Pipe Acquisition Disorder sated!
I have a bit of a romantic side. I can picture a one man shop in Denmark at the high point of pipe making creativity, an older gentleman picks his briar, oil cures and dries it, shapes the pipe by hand, creates a beautiful stem... these are not mass produced pipes by any means.
I also like this aspect of the pipe. It'll enhance my enjoyment of it for sure.

dsc_5854-600x525.jpg

dsc_5888-600x504.jpg

dsc_5887-600x278.jpg

dsc_5855-600x397.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks fellas! I imagine many enjoyable bowls from this pipe in the years to come.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I've only had 2-3 Jarls over the years, but they were all decent smokers. And like's been said, for the price it'd be real hard to go wrong on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.