Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Japanese Single malt Whiskey?!

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yes, it exists, and it is delicious! I went to a family dinner tonight. Someone had given my sister/brother-in-law a bottle of The Yamazaki 18 year single malt whiskey. They really only drink wine and I spied the box on the wine cabinet. After dinner I asked if I could try some. Of course, being wine drinkers they hadn't even opened it yet. She graciously opened it and poured me a healthy dram in a wine glass. I am no whiskey aficionado, but this is good stuff. When I was getting ready to leave, I said thank you for dinner and the whiskey was excellent. She told me to take it! It came home with me and I had another little taste as I am about to go to bed. If you like single malts, this is a must try!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do believe that the Japanese, like the Scots (and Canadians) spell it whisky.

Is it a peaty malt? I do like a peaty whisky.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not peaty, but it's good. Dark fruits, cocoa, vanilla, oil. Malty/bready/a little buttery. It's high quality. Most stores sell it mixed in with all the scotch!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks to be pretty pricey at over $100 a bottle. I have not had it but for that kind of money I'd still opt for the "real" thing.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then get the 12 yr. cheaper, still good, and worth the "trip" to some new lands.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

Sorry to tell you, but the Japanese have been making great Whisky for a long long time. In fact many of the master distillers were trained by many of the Highland and Orkney distillers, and they have perfected the art of the Single Malt. Suntory took top category wins in the past few years for their Single Malt Cask Strengths and other 'matured' vattings. Japanese Whisky is not as prolific as the Scottish distilleries primarily because their market was not intended for the Americas and Europe (like the Scottish distilleries). The Asian market is huge, and if you look at the Chinese Wine market, just like the Cognac market, soon Japanese and European Whiskies will be marketed to them. I would suggest you explore some of the major Japanese labels if you like Whisky. Although not as peaty because, well, quite frankly the peat growth in Japan is relatively nonexistent... but nonetheless, their product is top notch, and dare I say, some are better than mainstream Scottish labels.

Shutterbug

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. auslander

auslander

Login to Send PM

Japanese Single malt is top class. I don't buy it much purely because it is over priced. Regardless of how good it is there is a limit to what is (in my mind) a fair price for a distilled spirit.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, redglow, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper