PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have already too many large James Upshalls but I still watch almost every Ebay auction, to keep abreast of the market.
This pipe ended today and I was a little surprised at the final price of $355.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/James-Upshall-Old-England-ESTATE-Tobacco-Pipe-Giant-Pipe-/201111138987?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG

I assumed it was a P grade but read the add more closely after it closed. I was not really familiar with the "Old England" line which appears to be their giant size pipes. The Upshall "Price List" doesn't list a price for this grade pipe.
I was really unfamiliar with the "Old England" grade and assumed it was a P grade pipe. I believe this was the first "Old England" grade pipe I've seen on Ebay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I wasn't aware of that grade, either. Apparently it's one of the three "Empire" grades: http://www.upshallusa.com/empire_series.htm

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Old England was introduced in 1986 and was joined about a year later with two other finishes, Tradition and Monarchy and these three (3) models were named the Empire Series.
Large, over sized pipes, they were smooth and well grained as were all Upshall pipes made in this era. They loosely correlated to the "S" (Tradition), "P" (Old England) and "B" or "G" (Monarchy) grades of the regular Upshall line.
Originally made as an exclusive for the American market, it's possible that some were sold elsewhere. By the early 1990s few if any were still being made.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for that information neverbend on this unique line. I'll be better prepared for Ebay battle should another one appear!
Google didn't yield any results on a photo of a B or G Monarchy Grade pipe, if any exist, I'd sure like to see those pictures. (one outdated Ebay ad for a B Monarchy)

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Glad it helped.
The Empire Series weren't marked with a standard grade of "S", "P", "B" or "G", it was their approximate grade if they had been marked. It's the size and stem that set them apart as Empires. I can't say if all later Empires had hand cut stems but the early ones did.
The difficulty with a large pipe is that the grain breaks up. Upshall graded grain very conservatively, what they considered a straight grain was superior to most if not all of their contemporaries (and predecessors). So a Monarchy (if they made one) would have been a superior grain but they traded size for completeness of the grain pattern.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone got a good deal on an unsmoked "Old England" today!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/James-Upshall-OLD-ENGLAND-029-Tobacco-Pipe-ESTATE-PIPE-SWEET-UNSMOKED-/191248883294?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

At over 8", this was a large pipe, even by James Upshall standards.
$_57.JPG

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Some Upshalls may have been overpriced, but I would wonder if they were still a better value than Dunhill.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Some Upshalls may have been overpriced, but I would wonder if they were still a better value than Dunhill.
This is for you Al, thanks.
My familiarity with James Upshall is through the 1990 when all of their pipes were hand made bowls with mostly injection molded stems while most Dunhills are replicated (machine made) bowls with rod vulcanite hand made stems.
I think the best comparison with Upshall is to Charatan hand made pipes. Upshall derived their process, materials and culture from Charatan. Through the late 1980s, Upshall only made smooth, unfilled and unblemished pipes with an extraordinarily high yield of straight grains. They also made a pipe that they referred to as Tilshead (the location of the factory in Wiltshire) that were exactly the same as first quality Upshalls but with surface flaw(s) so they were true seconds.
Major Ken Barnes (Managing Director of Charatan during much of the Lane era) and Barry Jones (Charatan craftsman) founded The Tilshead Pipe Company in 1978. Major Barnes’ son, Kennedy assumed control of the company upon his father’s death in 1981. Their stated mission was to make, Smooth Straight Grains in the Classic English Freehand Tradition *(1). Thus their motto from that period, The Tradition Continues...
Kennedy Barnes studied briar block cutting (the most skilled and important phase of hand making pipes) under Barry and showed immediate ability. Both Charatan and Upshall were highly adept at ‘running flaws’ (reshaping bowls to eliminate flaws in the briar) that was essential to their ability to maintain a high yield of smooth firsts. Upshall however, had two expert cutters in Kennedy and Barry whose individual styles are evident in the pipes that they cut; Barry’s more like Charatan and Kennedy more classical and graceful.
Both companies sourced their wood from the same supplier, Otto Braun, who said that Upshall consistently was supplied with superior wood to Charatan. During their heyday Upshall’s briar was renowned for it’s size (indicates probable age) and quality and was consistently larger than any briar I see available today.
Charatan sandblasted and part carved many of their hand made pipes that would have been graded as Tilsheads by Upshall. Only a few Upshalls were carved or sandblasted in the 1980s as tests, so Upshall pipes with these finishes are almost all from a later period.
My impression is that vintage (1978-1990) Upshalls sell for considerably less than Dunhill (especially) and Charatan. Upshall’s stems were inferior to Dunhill and about the same as Charatan. Upsalls bowls were superior to Dunhill and on balance slightly better than Charatan because they were graded more critically and they made only smooths in more classical shapes and that’s just more difficult to do.
*(1) English Freehands are pipes that are made with specific processes by hand into (mainly) classic shapes. This differs from Danish style freehands that are shaped according to the grain.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Another unsmoked Old England on eBay. Through 1990 there weren't a lot of these and I can't date this pipe reliably but the evidence (if it's well made or not) is always in the pipe.
Upshall Old England

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How do these things stay unsmoked? Someone has more restraint than I do. The only

unsmoked pipe I have is a cob, and it's living unsmoked on borrowed time.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
The only unsmoked pipe I have is a cob, and it's living unsmoked on borrowed time.
MSO, this gave me a good chuckle.
Very interesting. Given Upshall's high standard for briar, what was the thinking behind the decision to go with injection molded stems?
Major Kenneth Barnes was hired as Managing Director of Charatan soon after Herman Lane took control of Charatan in the 1950s. During Major Barnes’ tenure Barry Jones emerged as a top craftsman. They both left Charatan about 1976.
When Major Barnes and Barry started James Upshall their stated mission was to make the highest quality, smooth, straight grained pipes in the classic English Freehand tradition (thus their slogan, ...the Tradition Continues). Quite a heady ambition that endorsed surpassing Charatan at their own game. However, like Charatan, and because that was the culture that they emerge from, the stem was treated as the second piece of the pipe if not as an afterthought.
In the 1980s, it would have been appropriate to call Otto Braun the briar czar, for he controlled the quality and flow of briar, in one form or another, to most of the world’s important pipe makers. Upshall had a special relationship with Herr Braun that they actively cultivated and the result was a continuous supply, through most of the 1980s, of the largest, most aged and best quality briar blocks in the world. No one got better wood than Upshall. Other pipe makers were amazed at the size and quality of the briar that Upshall used and surprised that they never made more than one pipe per block.
Hand made pipes are defined by the Cutter, the craftsman who determines the optimal shape and grain (and who works around flaws) that can be made with a particular block of briar. Upshall started with one of the world’s finest Cutters in Barry Jones but quite amazingly, Kennedy Barnes, who had taken control of Upshall when his father died in 1981, trained at and then emerged as a superb Cutter in his own right. Upshall had two of the finest Cutters in the world (the Cutter is usually the most skilled craftsman in a hand making workshop).
In 1982, an Upshall ‘P’ grade would have been a flawless (unfilled), smooth bowl with superior, often tight flame or straight grain, ample to large size and completely hand made from the best briar in the world. This was only their ‘meat and potatoes’ range, not their best grades (that were ‘B’, ‘G’, ‘E’, ‘X’ and ‘XX’ above them). And like Charatan, they had an injection molded vulcanite stem. The ‘P’ grade sold for $125 (in 1982) when the best lines of other well known brands were selling for about $100, also with injection molded stems, but their bowls were machine made from briar of far lower quality, with less size and grain and often with fills and sandspots.
If you want to understand just how pristine Upshall's bowl production was, look at their 2nds, commonly called ‘Tilshead’ (the town where the Upshall factory was located). Upshall made only smooth pipes so they were ‘naked’, meaning that you saw any and all imperfections in the briar. In every way the Tilshead was a James Upshall pipe except that there was a flaw or a (few) sand spot that they couldn’t work around. Of course, all Tilsheads were smooth and in 1982 they were offered in a red finish at $29.95 and a natural (unstained) finish at $39.95. Truly astonishing values but like the James Upshall pipes, they had an injection molded vulcanite stem.
For a workshop like Upshall, a hand cut stem (from rod vulcanite), would have dramatically increased the time to produce a pipe. The same ‘P’ grade pipe with a hand cut stem would have necessarily sold for about $200. Could the quality of the pipe, with the hand cut stem, have supported that price? Absolutely, but the culture was derived from Charatan and not Barling and Upshall wasn’t equipped, physically or mentally to make this change.
Ironically this is a thread about the Old England grade pipe, part of the Empire Series and these pipes have factory hand cut rod vulcanite stems. When the Old England was first made the importer demanded that it be fitted with a hand cut stem and Barry Jones appeared with some lengths of rod vulcanite and immediately fashioned a beautiful mouthpiece. They had the skill to do it but this tells the rest of the tale. Upshall had considered and even tested hand making stems so they were acutely aware of the impact that it would have had on their price.
The Empire Series is what could have been, the complete James Upshall pipe. Perhaps no other pipe maker was more pure in the pursuit of bowl perfection and looking back it may seem easy to question their decision to use injection molded stems but at the time it was a prudent business decision that led to them becoming the largest selling handmade pipe in the world. If you want a world class pipe, the Empire Series is an excellent choice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks again Pete for such wonderful information. I'd would have loved to hold the pipe from that Ebay auction. You can definitely see that stem is something special and unlike a standard Upshall button.

Status
Not open for further replies.