PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A neighbour is heading down to Jamaica next month and he asked if there is any Jamaican pipe tobacco he'd like me to bring back to try. The duty free limit is quite high for cigars so he is stocking up. I've never heard of a particular Jamaican blend but a quick Google showed this:
Villiger Jamaican Export

vpc-tp-1000.png

I don't mind trying out an aromatic, but is there another blend I should be looking for?
I'm also going to have him look for some of this:

Jamaican-Blue-Mountain-Coffee-1024x536.jpg

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I don't think it's actually made or blended in Jamaica. Distributed by Mac Barren Richmond VA

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Being a former British colony, I wouldn't be surprised to find some Dunhill laying around if you knew where to look. I've spent some time in Trinidad and there was a lot of quintessentially British stuff around, from liquor to cricket bats. Jamaica may be in a similar situation.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It is made by Sutliff. Here's my review of it:
The Virginias have some grass, citrus, and a touch of dark fruit. The earthy, nutty, molasses sweet burleys play a supporting role. The fruity, buttery sweet rum is very obvious and has a mild spice note, which indicates Jamaican rum is present, too. I also sense an extremely light essence of cocoa here and there. The toppings do sublimate the tobaccos, though all work well together to create a very smooth, consistent flavor from start to finish. The nic-hit is very light. The strength is very mild, and the taste level is mild. No chance of bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean as it burns to ash with few relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room notes from the rums lingers a short while. An easy going all day smoke.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
The Jamaican blend I smoked packed loosely, had a sweet taste and Greta room note. I don't remember if it smoked to ash and I don't remember the finish. As a matter of fact, I don't remember much that afternoon.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I knew someone would go down that road, but I'm surprised it was you first trout! :D
Thanks for posting your review Jim. Do you know if it was made with native Jamaican leaf? I'm having a hard time finding any tobacco blends from there.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mikethompson: I doubt it was made with Jamaican leaf. It has the name it has because of the topping.

soshoresig

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
When I went years ago lots of European blends. As an example besides Red Stripe all the beers were mostly Guinness and Heineken.

Status
Not open for further replies.