PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
I truly enjoy the Triple Play....local shoppe had a tin of JackKnife on the shelf so I helped myself yesterday afternoon. I have read reviews on both of these that make reference to each other so I was interested to insert myself into the interpretations.
Similar in strength...they both pack a punch....I think the Triple Play is more multi-dimensional as far as a flavor profile....it has a sublime, citrusy, sweetness that the JKP doesn't produce. The JKP is much more a head on, full tobacco smoke. More beef, pepper, leather, earthiness.
I do think the JKP prepares and smokes much easier than the TP. The TP is more of a large leaf pressing.
I don't think I can include myself in the camp that likens these to each other.....they truly stand apart from my vantage point.
I think both of these products are outstanding.
Thoughts?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I'm glad to find you are a plugman, like me. I've just noticed that we joined PM Forum on the same day. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am!
I was very interested to read your opinions of these tobaccos. I haven't yet managed to source them in the UK, but a dear friend has sent me some 'JackKnife Plug'. I am really looking forward to trying it, and will report back (shameless plug for my "Same Tobacco - Plug versus Flake" topic !! LOL)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm curious about that myself. I also wonder how they compare to Peterson's 3P's plug?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little more info on these would be good. They're plug. Mostly Virginia? Not aro, right? I'm aging some

G.L.P. Westminster, but don't know these blends. I'll look 'em up, but a bit of background would be good.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Jakey, the only place I've found this side of the pond supplying GL Pease tobacco is Gauntleys of Nottingham. They're not cheap though...

http://cigars.gauntleys.com
(Dammit, you just made me check their website to get the link & I see they're now stocking Haddo's, which is my personal Holy Grail baccy! Tad taking over!!!!)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've only had Triple Play, but I've got some tins of JKP lying around. Maybe it's time to open one.
As for Triple Play, I agree with the OP about the "sublime...sweetness." That's mainly the bright VAs talking, but the Dark Fired Kentucky is less smokey than it is fragrant, almost like Latakia, especially working in conjunction with the VAs. I have to admit, the first two weeks my tin was open, the smell was a bit overpowering and sourish. But after some air time it has really settled down into a wonderful smoke. Along with the sweetness and the fragrant smokiness, at times it has a sort of chocolate brownie flavor that comes through.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I remember trying JKP and smoking a lot when it first came out, thinking man this is fabulous weed if only it had a touch of Perique, it'd be perfect. Then the Dark Lord released Triple Play, no turning back. Don't get me wrong,

I love the full body of JKP but absolutely love the addition of the Perique in Triple Play!

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looked these up with SP. They sound good, especially Triple Play. I'll add it to the (rather long) list to try.

Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
Ended up taking the day off of work (beginning of 4th quarter....I'm in sales....smashed 3rd....good day to play hookey!) and the wife and I went antiquing.
Cut up some JackKnife to take with me...she drove...I smoked it all day and bought an odd taxidermy of a piranha.
Today has been great.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
3Ps is very different from either of the Pease Plugs. For one, it is steam pressed so its more of a brick and not layers like TP and JKP. It has a darker flavor, if that makes sense, more smokey, kind of earthy flavor.
Of the two Pease plugs, I prefer the TP due to the Perique, but JKP satisfies on its own level.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For whatever reason, couldn't resist the siren call of Triple Play, though I'm not otherwise a plug guy.

Sliced, sometimes. Ordered that from SP along with the new Peterson Balkan Delight (about which more

later if noteworthy) and the seemingly ever-popular Altadis Fox and Hound. Thanks for the interesting

discussion of plug tobacco and the recommendation. I will sharpen my pocket knife and go slow at first.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I tried the TP first because I like perique. It's lovely, as others have mentioned, with a light citrus note.
Then, the B&M was out of TP but had JKP, so I bought that, thinking it would be the same blend without perique and that I might not like it as much. I was wrong -- it's my favorite plug. I love it. I could smoke it every day. Age is good for it. I only wish it were available in the 8- or 16-ounce tins.
My wife makes fun of me because I almost always exclaim, "Oh, Greg!" after lighting a bowl of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.