PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
In the same vein as my other thread, I am interested in knowing the difference between Jackknife Plug and Triple Play. I've separated this topic from the rest to keep it simple...
TP contains perique, but is that the only difference? From my readings at TR.com I am led to believe that TP is slightly lighter than JKP and that Pease did not just throw a handful of perique into a batch of Jackknife - is that an accurate assessment?
A lot of reviews I've read about JKP and TP were initial impressions recorded around the launch dates.
Can anyone who has been smoking these tobaccos for awhile give their updated reviews and school me on the subtleties between the two blends and how they have treated you over time?
Thanks!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Triple Play has more of a spice note and not quite the heft/body that Jackknife has. I liked Jackknife from the get go, but Triple Play took some getting used to. The flavors just seemed odd I guess. Now, I love it and plan on getting a couple more pounds of it for aging. It definitely benefits from some air time. Both need a decent amount of drying out as well.
Jackknife I would describe as more meaty, it has a nice fullness whereas Triple Play is a bit lighter but with more spice.
Not sure if that helps or not, but there you go.
If Perique was added to Jackknife, it would really change the blend and I am not sure in a good way. They are two different tobaccos, so if Perique were added, we would have a third blend.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks mrenglish. Just what I was looking for. (Don't let that keep other people from responding, I would love to hear more opinions - especially assessments of Triple play which does not get much attention overall)
A lot of people out there in Forumland give the impression that Triple Play is just Jack Knife with perique and that's it. I'm glad to here that there is a deeper difference because I suspected as much from the start...
As a lover perique and more "moderate" tobaccos, Triple Play honestly sounds much more appealing to me.
I'm not afraid of a bit of strength but it does prevent my repeat enjoyment and limits a tobacco to an occasional bowlful...

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I agree with Mr. English - TP is not just JK plus perique, but after smoking a tin of each, I reordered JK but not TP - so I guess they are similar enough in my mind that I didn't need them both around.
IMO JK is stronger in nicotine, but not by a whole lot.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
... I would have reorder the triple play; but I didn't want to deal with the plug.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
+1 Mrenglish. Thanks to Mrenglish, I had the opportunity to smoke both of these blends and I agree 100% with what Mrenglish is saying except I liked Jackknife better at first but now Triple Play is now one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.