PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Just posted at tobaccoreviews.com.
Short version: gracious, this is manly.
I light up a bowl of JKRR, and I think, all of us on this forum, whether old or young, black or white, male or female, we're all men here, and this tobacco is an incitement to extreme manliness.
Suddenly all I want to do is chug a couple of handles of Wild Turkey, squeeze off some rounds, club some seal babies, harpoon something endangered, bomb Hanoi, crank up the George Thorogood, copter-hunt some mastadons, scarf a T-bone, litter, bench-press my HumVee, call in some air-strikes and generally get some. That's what a kiloton of Kentucky Dark Fired can do for a guy.
Esthetes and other un-American elements have suggested that there there's some bright-leaf in here, and maybe some sweet Virginias. If there are, I don't want to know about it. I like my tobacco as subtle as a thermobaric charge; this hits the spot and leaves a smoking hole.
Pipe Used: Generally I smoke this with my bare hands.
Age When Smoked: Jail bait.
Purchased From: Adnan Khashoggi
Similar Blends: Bugatti Veyron, fuel-air explosives, Josef Stalin, Death Valley, and the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I had a few bowls of this and jarred it for a bit. It kept giving me the hiccups.
There is a lot of dark fired in there. No treble to be found. I think with a bit of age it could mellow out and be a real nice smoke.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
56985203.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I don't know who does their marketing, but I'm pretty sure they should hire you.
Not only do I want to try it now, I grew a beard just repeating the name of the tobacco to myself.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Yes, @trailboss, the Ted Nugent of tobaccos! Nothing, @planetary, could be as manly as that moustache.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I just had some of the plug version last night and it is from a 4 year old tin. Really sweet and delicious full body tobacco and was just excellent. So I see no reason why this wouldn't age well too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hedgehog, great review, both humorous and observational. It certainly draws me to the tobacco,

not to grow hair anywhere, but because I like full-bodied leaf (not exclusively but for sure). I

throughly enjoyed Triple Play, and am holding a tin of Gaslight, but Jackknife is its own blend.

I think I'd go for the plug version, not to step up the macho, but because I like the ritual.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I'll give this a try as well. I like the ritual of pipe smoking period but cutting up a plug is really hard with arthritis so I don't enjoy it at all.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Coincidentally, I just happened to light up a bowl of jack knife yesterday afternoon
Sorry to say I didn't experience any of the strong feelings that Hedgehog did
Great write up, though.

Dec 24, 2012
Real men don't smoke a ready-rubbed version when they can buy the plug and do the cutting themselves.'
Love the stuff.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hedge:
I've tried Jack Knife and didn't care for it. But, dear God, that review was spectacular!
You have a gift for hyperbole, Hedgehog, and swell phrasing as well. Mr. Pease could use somebody like you slinging ad copy. (This comment, "Pipe Used: Generally I smoke this with my bare hands." had me rolling on the floor but dredging up Adnan Khashoggi was almost as good.)
For me the lack of Latakia automatically put Jack Knife in the girl's smoke column. But, I'm talking the pre-Reagan, Iron Curtain still standing, pre-DNA testing, East German Olympic women's swim team kind of girl's column.
Nice work, pal. Please, please keep reviewing.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.