PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
So I've been slicing it into roughly 1/8" ribbons and drying it a bit (not crispy) and trying not to pack it too tight. It burns well enough, but where's the flavor ? Some earthy, grassy notes and the occasional cigar note, but tastes mostly like cheap cigarettes. I like other Pease blends and Greg doesn't make junk, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. Any advice ?

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I have found with jackknife plug it's a no BS blend. A straight up macho man, Clint Eastwood,cowboy type blend. Not a lot of flavor but a kick in the arse on nicotine!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How are slicing it? I slice it thin down the width of the plug then rub it into a nice shag. I like the flavor and do not find it lacking, so perhaps it is just how your taste buds react to it?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It shreds on cutting, so I don't think it will hold up to being cubed. Lately I've been cubing more of my flakes and am really liking the results. Maybe JackKnife just isn't for me.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You could also sit it back for awhile and see if that helps. I found Triple Play lacking in flavor and did not "get" it at all. I let it sit in its jar for many months and recently fired up a bowl. Its a complete 180 for me now, I love it.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I like other Pease blends...

What other blends have you tried? Is this by any chance your first experience with a Virginia blend.
I ask because most virginia and virginia/perique blends have a very mild flavor. Many who first become accustomed to aromatics or latakia blends have the same reaction when they first try a virginia. It might take a while to discern the subtler flavors.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
You could also sit it back for awhile and see if that helps. I found Triple Play lacking in flavor and did not "get" it at all. I let it sit in its jar for many months and recently fired up a bowl. Its a complete 180 for me now, I love it.
Agree - a little age does wonders for this blend, IMO.
I find the sweetness and different flavors to be quite subtle. After I've been smoking a lot of latakia blends, it takes me a while to settle down with Jack Knife, but now that I know the blend better, it's been wonderful, especially cube-cut. I use my wife's chef's knife to cut it and it stays together pretty well (which is more than can be said for myself if she finds out).

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I do smoke other Virginias such as Blackwoods,Christmas Cheer,FVF,Best Brown and Laurel Heights. I've also been impressed by HH ODF (TAD package came today with more ODF and tins of Solani 660 and 656, both new to me.) I'm through about half the plug of JackKnife, which was tinned in May, so it's pretty young. Think I'll follow the advice and put it to bed till next summer and give it another whack. Thanks to all for the input.
Cheers
Jeff

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Maybe it's just not your cuppa. Sure,Pease makes quality blends, but it doesn't mean everyone is gonna like all of them. Don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.