Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just rec'd this one in the mail, a 2008 Jack Howell Bulldog. I fell in love with the shape and blast (and already love my other Jack Howell pipes) but I didn't ask for a weight on the pipe. A ruler was shown for scale and I was hoping it would come in under 60 grams. Nope, it's a big-un, at 72 grams. I thought that I would just put it up for sale, but after giving it my tune-up, now I'm not sure. Should I take her for a test run before making the call?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Come on Al, you know Jack makes a great smoking pipe and you're going to love it! Glad I could help.

banjo the enabler

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a couple of the pipes he did for Neil Archer Roan and they are first rate indeed. Al, you've gone this far.....why not fill her up with some 965 and see if magic happens?

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I have a Howell acorn and while a skosh heavy, it has a great hand feel and is a first rate pipe. Kick the tires and give it a run.

drlpipe

Lurker
Jan 6, 2012
He cuts a fantastic bulldog and the blasts are so good. I understand your hesitation on the size though. Still, I'd give it a smoke.. you never know if it will be a magic pipe! You can always make room for a few outliers in your collection imo.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@banjo - I already have an enabler, my buddy Dave Jacobsen. He's the one who sent me the link to the pipe. He claimed first right of refusal after seeing the pictures. My summer head cold cleared just enough this morning to give her a whirl. Cranse nails it "a skosh heavy, but a great hand pipe". I guess that I have enough small pipes to satisfy that use. I broke her in with a bowl of MM965 (yep) and she does smoke great, down to a fine ash, one match. This is my fourth Howell, I love his stem work. So, I guess she stays in the case.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good call, Al. I don't think that a 0.40 ounce difference from your usual weight threshold would be a huge thing. Lovely pipe and you did good.

Status
Not open for further replies.