PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I made a new friend last week.
Marty Pulver just might be one of the nicest guys I've ever met in this business and this pipe world of ours is full of fascinating and truly kind people. I was noodling through his website and saw this odd duck freehand which put a hook through my liver.
JW2_zpsvglaqv2g.jpg

It's weird looking with that enormous Danish bowl and damned near model thin shank and stem, but I've always been intrigued by pipe makers once regraded as lions who somehow or other were forgotten or pushed aside 20 or 30 years down the road. Mr. Weinberger was one of those guys.
JW3_zps9aa0whcw.jpg

Weinberger was an interesting man who retired from the law to pursue his pipe making hobby. But, when your first employees include teenagers like Mark Tinsky and Curt Rollar then good things will happen.
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/fnord0393/JW3_zps9aa0whcw.jpg
Was he the American Sixten Ivarsson? I don't think so. But he was a talented craftsman who tapped into that incredible freehand frenzy of the 70's and enjoyed his moment in the sun.
The pipe showed up three days later in beautiful shape and raring to go. It eats and breathes Nightcap like a champ and the pipe feels good in my hand. I'm pleased.
Thank you, Marty, for working through my laryngitis and doing your best to fulfill my order. You're the best.
Fnord

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That is a beaut my friend. I have a soft spot for JHW's. As far as I know, he was the the true father of American freehand carvers. I have a JHW that I haven't smoked or even worked on yet but the drilling is spot on, the tenon meets the draught hole bore in the shank with no gaps... Close to Sixten but there was only one who really came close to him. God bless the old school freehand carvers!

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Love this. I have one prized JHW that I haven't had time to clean up yet. It is certainly near the top of my list on needed restorations. I'll eventually post a comparison once I'm done.
jackhweinbergeracorn-600x391.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've got to be honest, I wasn't familiar with the man until I ran across the pipe at Marty's website and did some research. And I certainly had no idea he was considered the grand old man of the US freehanders.
Your analysis is spot on, Fluff. This is an extremely well engineered pipe and everything is right where it's supposed to be. I'm having a bit of difficulty transitioning my hand from that monster of a bowl to the almost delicate stem, but I'll get there.
Your pick-axe is beautiful, Razorback. Can't wait to see it scrubbed up.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.