Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That online retail sale we were all looking for over Labor Day happened starting Friday and

running through next Friday, Sept. 12, at Iwan Ries. Pipes and tobacco are 15% off site-wide,

and a limited selection of pipes is half off the original MSRP, or about 37% off the regular retail.

Last year they had a Vuillard bent apple that I just had to have; 'am trying to contain my PAD this

year. We'll see. There are deals to be had. I think this may be the only place where you can land

a new Peterson for less than eighty bucks while they last.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, I hope I didn't contribute to household discord there, but it sounds like you did well on the

pipe buying front. They had some beautiful pipes on offer, and you snagged three of them. IR

seems to start their pipes at competitive prices, so I think you did really well with the discount(s).

It has been my impression that IR bases their prices on what they paid when they bought them,

rather than just raising prices to reflect the market. I hope you have many years of enjoyment

from these. Maybe a picture or detailed description at some point.

Dec 24, 2012
You are indeed evil.
I have been on the hunt for an elusive Castello shape 10 for ages. They are as rare as Hen's teeth since Pease popularized him. I have even had Italian deals trying to locate one for me.
And here last night I go to the Iwan Reis website, and what do I find? Yep, a Castello Collection 2k in Shape 10, and for a fantastic sale price. I am indeed a happy camper.
http://www.iwanries.com/castello-collection-2k-P14400C145.cfm
Greg's shape 10s are sprinkled throughout his Castello page.
http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Collection/castello.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hoist on my own petard (whatever that means), just pulled the trigger on that Johs Canadian

I've been eyeing for a year. Last year it was the Johs Dublin in that same black blast with the

wood stain band. Hardly a budget buster, but something I'd been coveting. I think Johs had

some especially well-aged briar at the time these pipes were made. If it's like the Dublin, it

weighs nothing but has a good big burley burning bowl.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Peck, that's a good grab. I've had a few #10s go through my collection though only one remains - a fume-rimmed Sea Rock that just can't be beat.
You're gonna love it.

Dec 24, 2012
fish, I think it is as well. With the extra 15% discount on top of the 15% discount the site already provided, I got it for somewhere in the mid 400s, which for that shape and being a Castello Collection 2K is a really great deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my experience, you wouldn't find the Castello at their starting price elsewhere, so you end up at

an excellent sale price. IR has been around so long, I think they get good prices from the carvers

and other pipe makers, and pass it along.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No further action on my order made yesterday, beyond a receipt of the order by email.

No shipping notice, and the pipe still appears for sale. I noticed they got peck's magnificent

Castello marked sold almost instantly, understandably. I take the slowed action to mean that

the sale is roaring along and they have a stack of orders to fill, which is good. Last year they

marked the Johs Dublin I ordered as if they would re-stock, but eventually removed it from the

site. I think Johs are handmade and there is only one of each. I notice that comparable blast

pipes from Johs go for $95 on SP; IR had it for $68; and I bought it on sale for $57, plus shipping.

Not quite half price, but not too bad.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Dammit, I was not going to buy any more tobacco. My cellar is getting full. However, I love Dr. Bradley, this sale was going on, yada, yada, yada. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.