PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I love this tobacco so far. Once I've smoked several bowlfuls to confirm and round out my initial impressions, I'll probably post an extended version of this review - it's too early to provide a full review, as I've just got the bulk order and have smoked only two bowls. I believe that for a review of this (afaik) little known blend, some crossposting is justified
I really like IR's Gourmet Blend. The flavoring is mild but extremely tasty. Although it's a VA/Oriental blend, the VA does not bite and the Oriental is sweet to the bottom of the bowl - both these major components perfectly complement each other. GE has all the characteristics that I require in an all-day smoke. There is also a slight hint of Latakia. This blend has a vinegary/salty flavor which really hit the spot. The taste stirs up at the back of my tongue, which is where I catch flavor. It lit up very easily, needed practically no non-DGT relights, and did not present any casing issues. The blend's moisture is just right, which allowed me to smoke it without drying it out first, for which there is simply no need. I'm going for my third bowlful now...

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I'v found it works much better when smoked in a large bowl, as all blends (or most) seem to improve in all respects in larger bowls like Savinelli Hercules EX models and the like.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Kev and python, you won't be disappointed I think. Just remember to try it out in a large-bowled pipe that you have reserved for English blends, or a new cob.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
How's this one?
cellini-pipe.jpg

That's a Cellini I bought at the show and me smoking it on the last day of the Chicago Pipe Show. That one is about a 1.5 - 2 hour smoke and I have only smoked English blends in it.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
That's not a pipe, that's a business card you're holding, Kevin! Oh, wait a minute, the pipe in your mouth? Yes, that will be a big enough pipe for the occasion.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Gourmet English is one of my favorite blends for "all day smoking". I find it to be very satisfying in taste, and never have I had a problem with bite, even when I have foolishly smoked it way too fast and too hot. It does light very well, and does great in a large bowl pipe. I generally use it for the first few bowls in any new pipe, since I know the tobacco well, I can judge the break in with this tobacco. I have been happy with this tobacco in bulk and in tins. I tend to save the old tins and refill them with the bulk. Thanks for starting this topic.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Bulk into tins, that's a great idea porshcigar. And yes, I too find GE is a great allday smoke, a sedate but flavorful English blend. Subsequent smokes of this blend has confirmed and enhanced my initially very favorable impression. This blend will be a keeper. I just hope that IR continues to blend it!

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I bought a pound of this stuff based on a recommendation of a guy on You Tube from Washington State. It's his all day smoke. It didn't smell that great when I opened it at the time. I've had it several months now, vacuumed sealed for later smoking. I actually forgot about it until I seen it listed here. I'll have to dig it out and smoke the stuff.
I've learned you can't judge the flavor by the smell of the tobacco. So, I'll have to smoke it and then decide if I like it or not.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've learned you can't judge the flavor by the smell of the tobacco
Pipe smokers' axiom: The worse it smells, the better it tastes. :lol:
This is one I probably wouldn't try simply because I want more than a "hint" of latakia in an English blend. :puffy:

superbob

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Victoria, Canada
Gourmet English is a wonderful blend that I discovered only by visiting Iwan Ries in Chicago. The tin was looked very ordinary so I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised about the "just right" feeling it gave me. Chatting with one of the Iwan Ries sales guys, he told me that McClelland blends it for them. I promptly purchased as much as my Canadian government would allow me to bring back without paying duties.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I've smoked both the Gourmet English and the Balkan Supreme. I would say the Balkan Supreme is not as potent in the flavor department. It still has plenty of flavor, just not as intense. Both were smooth, and both behaved and performed well in the bowl. I actually played around with a few bowls of each, adding some more VA, and it worked well. I don't think any Latakia Lover would waste any money getting a few ounces.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Just ordered a tin yesterday after reading this thread and it was shipped today... Hopefully I get it Saturday for some weekend trials!!

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Wow! Sounds like something I would like too. I am trying to show some restraint and ...uh maturity here in regards to TAD. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.