PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve heard a lot of great things about Wessex Brigade Campaign that I just had to try some out. However, it seems as though most of the online stores are out and that it also sells out quite quickly when its in stock. I live in Chicago on the extreme NW side and I haven’t been to Iwan Ries since the mid 70’s when I used to smoke the occasional cigar.
When I went to their website I noticed that they had one tin in stock, albeit at a higher price than it is at SP and P&C. Yes, I could have driven there which is a real hassle and aside from the fact that I would have to take put a loan for parking. The other alternative, and one that I used on a daily basis when I worked in downtown Chicago back in the late 60’s, was to use public transportation. But, the fare would add up to the same amount that the shipping charges would be, aside from what would probably turn out to be a two venture when it was all done. Sorry, but not just for one tin of tobacco although I’m definitely going there come this summer just for a visit. Actually, I would go there more often but the taxes in Chicago are totally insane so purchasing tobacco or pipes from them is just out of the question. However, if you ever get to Chicago this is a MUST place to visit!
As I was perusing IW and its related links on Google I came across an interesting article about IW, its history and current owner Kevin Levi... HERE
Also an interesting video interview with him. Might be that you’ve seen it already, but if not... enjoy. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZhDjUqLVM

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Great article and interview. If ever in Chicago, that will be a must place to go. Not many like that left to see. Thanks for posting phil67

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I really want to revisit Chicago...haven't been there in decades. And stop by Iwan Ries, too! Their tobacco tin prices are a little higher than others, but in a pinch I'll buy from 'em
Yes, what I say and what I know I would do are entirely two different things. I know damn well that if I went there I would more likely than not walk out with a shit load of tobacco and even perhaps a pipe. Being in that amazing establishment is like being in pipe heaven!

Dec 24, 2012
I am in Chicago on business this Thurdsay through Saturday and plan to visit IW. I was there years ago, but I smoked cigars then. Excited to check out the place from a pipe perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.