Tags:  No tags yet. 

Iwan Ries

(23 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by politicalmonster
  • Latest reply from Chris
  1. politicalmonster

politicalmonster

Login to Send PM

So I am in Chicago for a conference, and I just had to go to Iwan Ries today. This place is piper heaven for someone from Atlanta!
    We have a few pipe shops, and I know there is the big shop over in Birmingham, but this place is crazy! I must have looked at hundreds of pipes while I was there. And hundreds of tobaccos. And lighters. And pipe racks. And pipe...well, you get the idea.
    Ended up buying a new Capri Warlock Churchwarden and a Neerup Classic flame grain poker, along with several tobaccos and some other odds and ends.
    And here are the pics...

A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.
    -Thomas Paine
    http://erinmcdowell.blogspot.com/
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipes, I have always wanted to go there. Maybe when I die my wife will be kind enough to have my ashes sent there, so they could spread them around alittle. Can't think of a better spot!

John
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't been there in years. One of the legendary places for our hobby.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Here's a virtual tour.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That churchwarden is interesting and the Neerup poker is a knockout -- look at that grain!

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fantastic pipes. I was there a few years ago, but unfortunately I was interested only in cigars at the time. Can't wait to go back.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. chawz

chawz

Login to Send PM

I dragged my wife in there a year ago when we were seeing the sites downtown. Even she was impressed. Great Neerup

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, it is a great place and I have been there several times.The original Three Star (now named Blue), was one of the inspirations for Captain Bob's Blend along with Kentucky Club's original "London Dock". The original Three Star was in a minority as is my blend - an aromatic containing Latakia. IRC is a wonderful place to visit. However, the original lost its attraction for me when Altadis took over the blending of it. It's just not the same as when it was blended in the IRC "wash-tub".
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. waznyf

waznyf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful pipe acquisitions, I'm really diggin that Neerup! I've never been to Iwan Ries, but I will be headed there sometime this week while I'm in Chicago for the pipe show!

-Frank

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Iwan Ries also has an good web site, iwanries.com, with a good selection of pipes and tobacco. If you are a pipe smoker on a budget,
    look at Iwan Ries Exclusives, which are mostly made by Benton and perhaps, now, some by Savenelli (?). I'm not sure about that second
    sourcing, but so I've heard. These pipes are low priced but excellent smokers. They'll give you a rotation of briars, and you can save up
    for fancier pipes if you wish.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love that poker!

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. gisboro

gisboro

Login to Send PM

hmm.... I see a churchwarden in my future I think, two good looking pipes.

"Exploring the Unexpected since 69"
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Like anything else, we need to shop.

Iwan Ries is a highly respected tobacconist, one of the best in the world, IMO.

But IW's prices are not always the best. If I want a house pipe, IW is #1; if I want another brand of pipe, usually IW is higher in price (but not always -- for those of you who saw Banjo's Tsuge, you know what I mean). As for tobacco, in some cases, it doesn't freakin' matter on price, because they offer THIS and THAT is what I want.

IW, good folks to deal with. If you are in CHIX, go there.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Polimon that poker is slick.

Glad you got to make it up there.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rothnh, I haven't found Iwan Ries generally pricey. You do have to shop back and forth between
    online retailers, your local shops, etc., but on several occasions I've found the IR prices competitive,
    or a little lower. It really depends on the individual pipe. In the past year or so, when some of the
    online retailers have clearly raised prices, IR has held steady. I think they maintain a unusually large
    inventory and will sometimes stay with the profit margin on a particular pipe related to their own
    cost rather than raise prices across the board. At some of the sites, with some lines of pipes, they
    have just increased the prices for all pipes. I've noticed now, a lot of pipes in one category or series
    will all be one, somewhat higher price, whereas there used to be several levels within a series.

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You're probably correct, mso -- astute observations!

Particularly abut how Iwan Ries posts a newly acquired pipe, adds their profit margin, then puts the pipe on display and posts the pipe online. I, too, have noticed that they don't seem to change the price (unless it's on sale or special promotion). It's important to note that some of their inventory items are not listed online, so if they sell the brand, anyone searching for a particular pipe would be wise to call or Email them.

But as we both state here, it's important to shop around but hey, if the pipe I want is available, paying slightly more isn't an issue for me.

It's been a long while since I ordered anything from IW (it was by phone LOL). I couldn't find what they charge for shipping on their website now though. I did notice that Iwan Ries does ship internationally (and that info is in their FAQ, but again, no shipping fees listed).

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

Is the in house inventory greater than the online listings? I bought a few pipes from them online years ago as closeouts and got great deals but the last few years it seems pickings are slim online.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Is the in house inventory greater than the online listings?

I believe so, yes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. Their website is lacking IMO.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was there last month and yes, their in house stock is much greater than what they show online.

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

I personally think their website is terrible for picking out new pipes. I think it has a lot to do with presenting a clear large picture with very little distracting you (read: white backgrounds). That is why I don't like using Cup O'Joes or Iwan Ries. As a photographer, I prefer to have something very visual, and if a website doesn't lend to that then I tend to look for sites that do. As for pricing, I have found other sites better in price but by a very small margin. I don't doubt that they are great to deal with, but visually, I prefer Al Pascia and Smoking Pipes. Don't believe me? Look at identical pipes listed, side by side by opening up a new browser window. Compare Iwan Ries and Smoking Pipes...then do the same with Al Pascia and Cup O'Joes. You'll see a big difference (not in price but graphically speaking).

Shutterbug

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. phil22

phil22

Login to Send PM

I agree. I like the store but the web site is very poorly done.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, very nice. Both pipes are real beauties!

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr