PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Went outside a minute ago to find that my KOI pond now has no fish.

I saw a crane/heron? a couple of days ago in the woods behind my house and didn't give it much thought.

Stinkin bird went fishing and got 3 very nice small KOI and 4 pool fish.

I hate thieves!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That crane needs to learn sustainability practices! What can you do to protect your fish in the future? An enclosure probably isn't practicable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Some folks use deer netting just below the water. I've seen Great Blue heron's fishing my neighbor's concrete pond.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Did the crane/heron leave a tip? Or at least a thank you note? A herding dog, if practicable, might keep the birds at bay if trained to protect the pond. Try this site: www.fullserviceaquatics.com/ and check for heron deterrents. That site also states that if your pond is less than two feet deep you are now the proud owner of "The Great Blue Huron Sushi Bar."
I thought about a Koi pond but I've got a pair of lynx, the neighbor's cats, bears and other wild and domestic animal life close by, so the fish wouldn't have chance unless I fenced the area off and capped it.
Up here we've got people that leave their dogs chained up outside during the day. Then they get all broken up when they come home from work all that's left is hair, teeth and eyeballs and bit of Fluffy's collar. Bear's gotta eat!
Last year a couple that live about a mile away come home to find both pet llamas had provided sustenance for a sow and two cubs. And, this was after numerous reports of the trio in the neighborhood for a good part of the summer. Bears gotta eat!
Living close to and co-existing with nature can be a challenge.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Love him or hate him, he's a pretty smart bird! The whole "fish in a barrel" saying comes to mind, lol!

It does suck about your fish, but you gotta give props to the bird.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Yep he's a smart bird and no tip for the food.

The KOI were really nice ones with great color I had for about 3 years.

I'll have to figure something out for my future fisheys. :)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Sorry about your fishies, max. Most of our pets were inside pets, but we have lost some goats to coyotes or something. Maybe you should get some cheaper fish and have pet heron?

matchstick

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
I asked the Oracle.
Crystal%20Ball1.jpg

He said:
"12 Gauge with number 2 shot."

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Don't shoot a crane or heron, they are protected animals and ya could go to prison for a long time.

the best thing would be a scarecrow.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Easy Fix:
Go to your local costume shop and get a heron costume (online will work as well). Next, get all gussied up with some fancy bird-safe make up. Wait for the fiend outside near the pond while playing Barry Manilow. If you disguise is effective, he should come swooping down to check you out. Have him take you on several dates. Make sure that you express how important gender equality is to you while simultaneously refusing to pay for anything. Then after he falls in love with you and asks you to marry him, spend approximately 15 years (the average wild lifespan of a heron) married to the foul fowl. Next on his deathbed, reveal yourself to be male and a human and mock him as he is sent straight to the fiery pits of heck.
Then restock your pond using some of the above mentioned ideas.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
Sharks with lasers is awesome. Or possibly bears with chainsaws welded to their paws.
Then again, you could just hire a clown. Those things freak me out.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Birds gotta make a living too! Not the birds fault you provided a convenient buffet for it.
But the laser thing is a pretty good idea. :clap:

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Looking for genetically altered hyper angry piranha fitted with lasers as we speak. :rofl:

matchstick

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Looking for genetically altered hyper angry piranha fitted with lasers as we speak.
Avoid ebay. Last ones purchased were cheap knock-offs (Guppies with aftermarket dentures)

Status
Not open for further replies.