I've Had Lengua Sandwiches Cooked Less Than This.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Wow so I knew I would get a good nice bite going in the first few days of starting a pipe. BUT wow Im cooked, will say milk never has tasted as good though. Kinda weird
So any remedies other than bactine and time? I have forgot to grab bactine the last two times I was in town. Cant make a special trip for it alone.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Some folks swear by Biotene. I find that staying hydrated is a big help in both tongue repair and keeping your taste buds working properly. It's hard in my coffee and bourbon/gin rich diet. Heh.
Also one thing to keep in mind is what Fnord mentioned. Taking slow sips, little flavorful whispers. You may also be having a reaction to something IN the blend. Certain aro's make my mouth taste like metal and hurt. Also burleys will get my tongue and throat sore within 2-3 puffs. I can usually handle cavendish though...maybe it's something in the processing. Some folks are sensitive to certain Virginias.
Welcome aboard! It's a big wide open world when it comes to tobacco types. Every pipe is a learning experience and you dial it in a little bit more every time. Getting your tobacco prep, packing, and sipping technique down will reward you exponentially.
Sidenote: I made Lengua tacos about a month ago. I hadn't eaten them since I was a kid.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
All good advice....
But, you really should eat one of these....

Then you'll have no issues with a bit of steam through your pipe. :D
20130803_161643_resized.jpg

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I found when first smoking try not to keep the pipe going, instead try and keep the smoke very cold. If that makes sense? When I first started smoking I would try and never let the pipe go out and would smoke it so hot it bit my tongue like a shark eating a tuna. Try to slow down your rate of smoking. I hope this helps.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Roth this is posted in that sub forum. lol

Somehow I managed to read multiple posts saying to sip not puff, yet never had it register in my head till last night. The good news is my pipe gets to rest a few days.
Biotene is what I meant, I knew something didnt sound right about bactine.
Lawrence what type of peppers are those? They almost look like bell-habanero mix. lol that would get a few people.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pchitti, also be careful of blend that are high in Red Virginia's, there are smokers like myself who have a body chemistry issue with them. I can tell the minute the smoke hits my tongue if a blend is high with red's because it feels like acid is being poured on my tongue. I have found tons of blends that do not have it so I can enjoy my pipes, but for a number of years I had no idea what was burning my tongue. Also when you are smoking, periodically put the bowl up to your cheek, if it starts peeling the skin off, you are smoking too hot.
The two mfgs I have to stay away from the most are McClellend and Rattrays Virginia blends, they make some awesome tasting stuff, but unfortunately I cannot smoke them.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Colgate and Oral-B both sell a mouth-wound healing mouth rinse. I have used it in the past and it seemed to work well, where as Biotene is more of a dry mouth refresher which I and many others on this forum use quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.