I've Got To Stop Clicking Cryptic Thread Titles...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
grinds.jpg

[BEGIN RANT/]
You know what grinds my gears?
Threads with extremely cryptic titles - clearly designed to raise ones curiosity by offering no real clue as to what's inside.
Many of us are guilty of this (probably me too) but I'm asking: Please place some reasonable description of the topic in the title of your post.
I cannot tell you how many times I've clicked a post, only to see a youtube link with no explanation as to what it is or something completely unrelated to the topic title.
Getting tired of it.
[/END RANT]

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I concur, or the titles that are something like," Ever wonder why....." or "I got this....." There is enough space to just ask the whole question or give us the whole thread title?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I just don't click. But thanks for posting this, Six.
No hard feelings, but descriptive titles are generally best.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just don't click. But thanks for posting this, Six.
Too often I get fooled into thinking it's about something pipe related... I click the post, then kick myself once again!
If the title said "hey check out this funny video" - I'd be fine with that... Just offer some idea of what it is.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya i agree, all i can say is i hope all my previous thread titles explain themselves, although i do see myself being a bit dramatic in some thread titles to boost interest from time to time. I cant help it I'm full of youthful energy(haha i wish).

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I cant help it I'm full of youthful energy(haha i wish).
Dude. Your avatar has you heading a volleyball while diving into a pool... I think that qualifies.
I agree with Six, I appreciate thread titles that are deliberate and descriptive.
I also just choose not to read threads with titles that I either don't understand, or find interesting.
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
My new deathmetal steampunk band will be called

Clicking Cryptic Thread Titles
...not as good as Candyland Carcrash,

but enigmatic enough!
b7itHdn.jpg

May 31, 2012
"While we're at it, let's all follow the rules -- Use capitals and proper punctuation. Lawrence has a LOT more patience than I do -- seeing him have to fix and slap the "Rule #9" link to the same members over and over is just so totally unnecessary and shows total lack of respect IMO."
I agree with this, the amount of tedious labor must be arthritisville for Lawrence, not to mention that the thread titles should be capitalized also, aiding overall legibility.
"Oh -- and welcome back, Troy nice to see you posting again!"
Thanks Roth.

PM sent.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I agree Number Six. I purposely ignore them.
A thread title is just like an email subject line. At a glance it should tell me what it is about.
I also skip over emails that have a subject line like: "Hi".

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
GREAT thread starter, #6.
Sometimes I see a thread title and debate as to whether to click on it because I have no idea whether it will be about pipes and tobaccos or a new recipe for French Dressing. I give in and click on it and I'll be darned if it isn't a thread starter about French Dressing. I then say to myself, " Dadgumit, I've been tricked again."
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.