Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

I've Got a PAD Feeling About This: Briarworks Edition

(9 posts)
  1. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan of the Belge shape, and have been for quite some time now. I'm also a total sucker for a black sandblast with a tortoiseshell stem. So when I found this great combination from a company I like, at a reasonable price, it was just too hard to say no. (By the way, you can get 10% off your order at the Briarworks website with the code PIPESMAG, and I got free shipping too).

Drilling is spot-on, stemwork is very good for the price (not too chunky, unlike my Dublin from Briarworks, which is a little hard to clench), and the finish is great. In fact, I'm really considering ordering a seven-day set of various shapes in the same finish/stem material configuration. And now it's time to start breaking 'er in with a little C&D Yorktown.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Niiiice. I was just in their shop again the other day. I never really look at belge pipes but theirs are awesome, very eye catching and lithe. My Briarworks has the same tortoise stem, good choice there.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I've now run a bowl through this pipe, and I'm looking forward to a repeat performance tomorrow. Smoked great today, though it took a little getting used to not being able to look down into the bowl while I lit the pipe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a jeantet in the same shape. The lighting is a technique that will take some time lol.
    Very nice pipe

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

| it took a little getting used to not being able to look down into the bowl while I lit the pipe. |
    I was wondering if that bothered other people. Drives me a little crazy.
    Love that pipe BTW.
    I resorted to using small balsa safety matches on a forward cant that I can't see the rim when smoking. Do you do anything to compensate for the cant?

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I felt that I had gotten over the learning curve by about my third relight. I am glad, however, that this pipe has a black blast so I'm not as worried about charring the rim.

You can also get a peek in there by tilting the pipe waaaaay up in your jaw while clenching. That is, while holding the pipe between your front teeth, stick your jaw out so that the pipe is now pointing towards the sky.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot guys. I thought I'd cured my PAD until I read this thread and ended up with a similar pipe It is a cutty and I love the look of it. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Nice! Be sure to let us know how you like it.

Briarworks is a great value, probably undervalued, and American-made. What's not to like?

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

Nice! Be sure to let us know how you like it.

Will do!

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   monkeylyf, tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, loadclear, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar