Tags:   

I've created a new pipe smoker

(4 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by sailortodd
  • Latest reply from newbroom
  1. sailortodd

sailortodd

Login to Send PM

I was out enjoying a pipe while some of my shipmates were smoking cigars the other night, and it garnered more than the usual passing interest by one of them. I let him have a couple draws from the pipe (Samuel Gawith Navy Flake in this case), and he instantly loved it. After some talking, he was asking where to get a good, inexpensive starter pipe, and we discussed the merits of starting with a cob or getting a moderately priced briar to start. He asked if I had a cob I'd sell him while he shopped around and waited for a new pipe to arrive, and I just so happened to have a cob I'm more than willing to part with (and explained to him why - it's a filtered MM that I don't use filters with, so I regularly get burning embers in the back of the throat - he was willing to put up with that until he could get a better one).

Today I gave him the cob and a small amount of Lane Burley-Light-w/o-Bite that was gifted to me some time ago, and showed him how to pack and light it. I had my own pipe loaded with some of my recent favorite, Squadron Leader (I selfishly didn't offer that up, as I only have about three smokes of it left with none more on the way yet). After a bowl of BLWB and a couple of draws from my Squadron Leader he is hooked. Now I need to help him get a decent briar, maybe another MM cob, and some good starter tobacco.

Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?
    -poe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've been the cause of the increase of pipesmokers where I work. Great feeling isn't it?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your ambassadorship to our hobby.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you must smoke, a pipe is most engaging. You do yourself a favor when you choose a pipe over any other form of tobacco consumption.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1